Chapter 31

Calum's Pov

Crying.

That's how I spent the rest of the day.
Crying.

Max, In critical condition, Doctor said she might not even make it.

Luke on the other hand, Lucky with a few fucking scratches and a broken rib bone.

Max's mom was hysterical, just like I was when I first saw her face. She was beat up, cuts, bruises, blood. I couldn't stand seeing her like this.

There I was, in the hallway well after visiting time being asked to go home for the third time.

"Calum, it's 1 am. The doctors said they will call if they have any further complications. But as of now there isn't much we can do Cal." Kat told me again. I wasn't leaving, not until I could leave knowing that Max was going to be fine, that she would make it out of this hospital.

"Calum Max's mom went home, even Luke was released already, I think you should go get some rest."

"I'm not leaving, I told you take my keys and go home, other than that you should have left with Luke's mom, because I'm not leaving."
"Calum," Kat started, but quite frankly I really didn't feel like hearing her talk anymore. "Kat, just please go and leave me the fuck alone." I said a little too loud for a hospital at 1 in the morning but who cares.

"Listen, I understand you're upset, but you don't have to yell at me. I've done nothing wrong."

I just stayed quiet. She really didn't understand the whole leave me alone thing. How would she feel if her entire universe was hospitalized, and no one had the slightest clue if she would survive or not. But of course she doesn't know how that feels, because Luke is perfectly fine right?

"Listen Calum, there's nothing we can do. You're being ridiculous right now. The doctors said they would call if anything were to happen. We just need to go home and pray for the best."

"I'm the ridiculous one?" I said loudly. Family members of other patients looked at me with annoyance but I don't care, what Kat was saying was complete and utter bullshit.

"If anyone is being ridiculous it's you, your best friend is in there, hospitalized , unconscious, and here you are acting like you don't care at all. If anyone is being ridiculous it's you. You act like you don't give a shit about her at all!"

"I fucking love Max and you know that, so don't you dare try to pull that I don't care about her bullshit. I'm just trying to get you to go home so you're not up worrying in this hospital, but oh I'm the bad guy?" Kat said raising her voice as loud as mine.

"Oh so you're not worried? Oh of course you're not, because your poor Luke is at home, perfectly fine, so you don't really have a reason to worry now do you?"

"What does he have to do with any of this?" Kat rolled her eyes.

Was she serious? He had everything to do with this, he was the reason we were in this mess in the first place.

"Well maybe if he paid attention while driving we wouldn't be in this situation at all! This is all his fucking fault and you know it."

I could see that my word had made Kat angry. Redness flushed to her face as I could tell she tried to hold back her words.

"Go ahead, if you have something to say then say it." I gestured towards her. Any words couldn't hurt as bad as not knowing whether the person you love was going to live or not.

"I think you're just blaming this on Luke because you're angry. You just need to-"

"I need to what?" I rolled my eyes, this was getting ridiculous. "Like I said just take my keys and go play wife and husband with Luke some more or something, I'm done with the situation. It's obvious what you value more, the well being of someone who cares about you and treats you as her own sister, or your fake ass relationship." I sit back down in the hard, uncomfortable waiting room chair.

"Our relationship isn't fake, Calum. Like I said, you're just saying things because you're angry."

"If your relationship isn't fake then what is it? You've been together for what a day and you've already given your virginity to him?"

Kat was silent. Almost as if she was coming up with a response.

"Luke told me that-"

"For the love of God, if you come at me with that Luke told me he loved me bullshit I'm going to laugh."

I looked at Kat as her cheeks turned red.

"You really believe he loves you? Bullshit." I hastily replied. I probably shouldn't be saying this but I don't give a fuck really. Whatever happens, happens.

"Are you done now?" I heard Kat say but I didn't dare look at her.

"Sure, whatever." I rolled my eyes.

"Luke does love me." Kat said in a shaky voice. Either she was crying, or she was pissed off and trying not to punch the shit out of me.

"If he loves you so much, then why did he send me a message that was actually supposed to go to some girl. Something about he loved her, missed her, etc the list goes on." I took a hundred dollar bill out of my pocket and threw it on the floor. "He paid me to keep quiet. As soon as he got out the hospital room." I knew I would regret telling her this. I probably should have kept this a secret but hell, if anyone deserves to know it's her.

I saw the tears come from her eyes. "I told you not to get attached to him. That's what Luke does, he gets with girls, fucks them, then we hear nothing more about them. It's just how it goes with him. It's nothing personal, just him. Yeah, people thought that he would change for you. Max thought that you'd be good for him.But unfortunately that's not the case."

Kat stayed quiet and just stood there tears spilling from her eyes but no sound. People in the waiting room gave her looks of remorse. I felt instant guilt. I should have told her that, like she said I was angry. I had no right to tell her this though.

"Listen, don't cry-" She raised her hand at me, as a signal to stop.

"I'm calling my mom to come get me." She said quietly as she walked away slowly.

"When your mom gets here, tell her I quit." I said not looking back at her, I kept my eyes fixed on the door in front of me.

I was angry. What I said, from pure anger. But I meant to tell her every bit of what I said. Maybe now wasn't the best time to tell her, but I did intend on telling her, I don't have to feel guilty anymore. She was hurt. But at least she knew the truth, right?

🌚🍃