Chapter 10

{Character in picture: Carter Reynolds as Carl Lee}

{Song in video: Secret Wonder - How The Story Ends}

"Oh my gosh that's awesome that your dad is moving here. And I can't believe he said that Doctor James is old enough to be your mom's father. Your dad is awesome," Katie said while putting her books in her locker.

"I know right? I'm so glad he's moving here. I'll get to see him whenever I want," I said.

The bell rang and we went in Mr. Zielinski's class.

"Your dad is really hot," Katie said as the class got silent and they looked over at her. I noticed Mr. Zielinski shook his head and sighed.

My mouth dropped. "Um...alrighty then...I don't even know what to say to that," I said and laughed.

"Hotter than me?" Eric said jokingly.

"Of course not! You're the hottest," Katie said and kissed him.

"Okay class, we are going to start reading "The Giver". After you get to chapter 5, I will hand out a worksheet. There will be no talking. If anyone makes one peep then they will automatically receive detention," Mr. Zielinski said in an angry tone. I don't know if it was just me, but he looked even more pissed than usual. I didn't even know that could be possible. He kept glaring at me. What happened? I didn't even do anything...

I already had read "The Giver" but I didn't mind reading it again. It was one of my favorite books.

We stayed silent and read until the bell rang.

"Raven Valentine and Katie Daniels I would like to speak with you privately," Mr. Zielinski said calmly. He sounded a little too eerily calm. I shuddered.

"What's up Mr. Z?" Katie said.

His face was flaming red from anger. "Don't you tell me what's up. Someone broke into my apartment, stole my food, smeared my undergarments with peanut butter, and threw eggs at my window and face," he said sharply. My eyes widened and my mouth dropped. How did he know it was us?

"I don't know what you're talking about but that sounds like a personal problem." Katie kept her face straight and looked innocent.

"I believe this belongs to you Raven." He put an earring down on the desk and glared at us. That's where my earring went!

My face flushed red and my mouth opened but I couldn't speak. I shamefully took the earring. "Look Mr. Zielinski we're sorry-"

"Oh hell no we aren't," Katie interrupted. She turned to him. "You treated us like crap as soon as school started. We got tired of it and wanted revenge. Now we're even so you can't punish us because I feel like we've already been punished since we started this awful class!"

Mr. Zielinski's eyes widened. He sighed, brushed his hair back, and his face softened. "You're right."

Me and Katie exchanged a confused glance. "What?" we said at the same time.

"You two are right. I've been acting like a jerk this whole month. I need to put my feelings aside when I'm teaching." He no longer glared at us. For the first time since school started, he had a normal face expression.

"So we won't get in trouble?" Katie asked.

"No. You two already have been through too much with me. However, I expect you two to never do that to anyone's property. It's considered breaking in and vandalism."

Me and Katie stared at him blankly. "Well...I guess I'll go then..." She slowly walked away.

I was beginning to walk away but then Mr. Zielinski stopped me.