Chapter 11

{Character in picture: Sam Wilkinson as Johnny Ford}

{Song in video: Issues ft. Nylo - Tears On The Runway Pt. 2}

The next few weeks of Mr. Zielinski's class has been extremely awkward. Me and him would make a lot of eye contact and quickly look away. It happened at least a hundred times each time I had his class.

Katie must have known this whole Mr. Zielinski drama was bothering me still because she said, "I know this must be really hard for you. But there's always Jace. I'm pretty sure he's interested in you." She gave me a reassuring smile. I knew she tried to help by mentioning Jace, but I still felt sad about Mr. Zielinski. I dreaded to go to his class more than ever knowing we can't ever be together. "And at least Mr. Zielinski is no longer acting like a prick though."

"I guess you're right about that," I mumbled. The bell rang for class to start but I stared into my locker.

"Rave..." Katie hugged me from behind. "Please be okay. I promise you won't have a terrible year."

I sighed. "I know I will eventually. It's just hard to see it right now." I shut my locker and walked in class.

Me and Mr. Zielinski made eye contact as soon as I entered the room. He brushed his hair back with his hands. I bit my lip nervously and looked down at my notebook.

"Okay class today you all are taking a test on The Giver," Mr. Zielinski said and looked at me. We made awkward eye contact, but he quickly looked away. "I hope you all finished reading the book."

He handed out the tests. He seemed a little more flustered and nervous than usual.

 ---

I walked up to our usual table with my food. Everyone was already there except Jace.

"Hey everyone," I said. They all had a weird happy face, even Johnny and Carl sat with us. "Um why are you all looking at me like that?" I laughed nervously.

"Oh hey! Oh nothing! Just the usual," Katie said and quickly turned to Eric, "Babe can you buy me some food? Here's some money." She gave him 75 cents. He nodded and went to the cafeteria.

"Well looks like everyone's here except Jace," I said. They all exchanged glances.

"He's probably catching up with work or something," Carolyn said, "I'm gonna get lunch." She quickly got up and left.

"Yeah us too," Johnny said and he and Carl got up quickly and left too.

Okay...what's up with everybody?

I looked around and saw Jace across the building, pacing around nervously. Why's he pacing back and forth like that? Is he okay?

"Why's Jace way over there? Is he okay? He keeps pacing around," I pointed out.

"Oh uh...I don't know. Maybe he's trying to figure out something," Katie said.

"Maybe I should ask..."

"No! I mean...just let him straighten himself out. Eric says that's how he does things."

"Okay...well I hope he's alright." They're all definitely hiding something.

Eric came back with his and Katie's food. "Thanks so much babe," Katie said and kissed Eric.

"You're welcome," he said and smiled.

"By the way Rave, I'm getting a ride home from Carolyn today. We have to...work on some stuff for class," Katie said.

"Oh okay," I said while eating. Something definitely is up, but why won't they just tell me?