Chapter 16

{Character in picture: George Clooney as Lawrence James}

{Song in video: Zella Day - Hypnotic}

"Hey mom I'm home," I said as I walked inside the house.

"Hey," my mom said, "I was just about to drop this tie off. Lawrence left it here last night."

"Oh okay." I started walking up the stairs.

"Can you come with me? Afterwards I was thinking we could rent a movie together."

I turned around and went back down. "Yeah sure that'd be great."

We went in my mom's car and drove to Doctor James' house. My mom was about to park the car but then we noticed Doctor James getting in the car with a woman and kids. I looked over at my mom and had my mouth open. My mom just kept staring.

"Mom?" I asked. There was an uncomfortable silence. Oh my God that woman must be his wife...

My mom blinked. "Um yeah Rave?"

"Is that um...his wife?"

"I'm guessing so. Why else would there be a woman coming from the house and going into the car with him...and his children?"

Doctor James and his family backed up from the driveway and my mom followed him.

"Mom what are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm going to take care of some business," she said.

"Like what?"

"You'll see." We were silent the rest of the way.

We drove into the downtown city and Doctor James parked his car. My mom parked a few cars down from him. He got out of the car with his family and walked on the sidewalk.

"You're coming with me," my mom said and I didn't even want to try getting out of it. She looked serious.

Me and my mom walked about 10 feet behind them.

"So what's the plan?" I asked my mom.

"You'll see," she replied.

They finally walked inside a clothing shop. My mom stopped outside the store and we waited.

They came back out a few minutes later and we acted like we bumped into them.

"Oh Lawrence?" my mom said.

"Selena?" Doctor James said looking surprised and his family stood there.

"You left your tie at my house. I just wanted to give that back to you." She handed him his tie.

"You must be mistaken ma'am." He turned to his family and said, "She's one of my patients."

"You're going to act like you don't know me? Really? Are they your family?" She pointed at them.

He looked flustered and said, "Yes these are my children and wife."

"Your wife and children are gorgeous," my mom said as she took off a necklace and threw it at him. She stomped off. I shot him a glare and jogged to catch up with her.

"Mom are you okay?" I asked concerned.

"Yeah I'll be fine," my mom replied. "Come on let's go rent a movie."

We went to the movie shop and rented "Legally Blonde." We went back to our car and drove home. My dad sat on our steps.

"Dad?" I said. Aw man he picked another really bad time to come.