Chapter 5- Fiesta o Siesta

“Maebh?” I saw Stiles’s face scrunch together in confusion. “What the freaking hell are you doing out on the road by yourself!” he shouted. I saw him wriggle over the passenger seat to open the door for me. “Come on, get in, get in.” he said, waving for me to get in the Jeep.

I quickly jumped in and shut the door with shaking hands. If the whole hallucination I had hadn’t freaked me out enough, the encounter with the guy in the woods definitely had.

“Well…” I started, and took a deep breath. I didn’t exactly need to emotionally spill my guts to Stiles, but I figured I could give him the short version. “I just wanted to go for a walk and I got a little lost.” I said, hoping I sounded convincing.

Stiles raised his eyebrows at me before pulling out onto the road. “Really? I personally don’t go for walks in woods I don’t know when I want to go for a scenic tour. Especially when they’ve recently found bodies in them. Are you suicidal by any chance?” he asked in a sarcastic manner.

I sighed. “I was just anxious. I wasn’t planning on going far.” I said, looking down at my hands. I felt like I was being scolded by my mom. I slipped my hands under my thighs so he wouldn’t see them shaking. I needed to change the subject so I could feel like less of an idiot. “Stiles, have you ever heard of anyone named Deirdre?” I asked.

“Do they go to our school?” he asked.

I rolled my eyes. Clearly he didn’t. “No, just a name I thought I recognized.” I said, and realized I recognized where we were. “Take a left up here.” I told him.

He smiled. “This might sound creepy, but I know how to get to your house Maebh. My dad was there a lot after-“ he stopped abruptly, looking sheepish. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to bring that up.”

He meant after my aunt and uncle died. “It’s fine, I actually hate it more when people try to skirt around it. It’s like, I know what you’re trying to say, just get to the point. Stop being so condescending about it.” I said.

“Yeah I know how you feel.” He muttered, but I didn’t ask him about it. I felt like this wasn’t something to address on a casual drive home.

He pulled into my driveway and parked. I was about to open the door to get out, but he grabbed my arm. I looked back at him, and he was staring at my house like he was looking for people in the windows. I guess he didn’t want to get caught by my mom anymore than I did.

“Can I talk to you for a second before you leave?” he asked and I nodded. He let go of my arm and sat up. “Okay so, I was doing some research when I got home,” he started, glancing over at me, “And everything I’ve found so far is telling me that I’m right. It’s even more terrifying than I thought.”

I bit my bottom lip. “What’s the plan then?” I asked.

“Well, I think I’ll look again tomorrow. I want to make sure it’s fool proof before I tell Scott.” He said. He sounded nervous. I already had an example of how stubborn Scott could be, and I’m sure he wouldn’t take this news lightly.

“Okay, I’ll do some searching to. Call me if you need anything.” I said, before opening the door and hopping out of the car. “Thanks for the ride!” I shouted before he pulled away.

Now to face the even more terrifying issue at hand: my mother.

I walked up the front walk way and cautiously opened the front door. I didn’t see or hear anyone, and I thought I was free. I was just about to claim victory as I shut the door, when I felt someone behind me.

“MAEHB ANNE CLERY!” I flinched as my mom’s voice pounded my ears. “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?”

I turned to face the fuming woman. “I got lost, and I dropped my cell phone.” I mumbled.