Chapter 20- Bad Vibes

I pulled into the school parking lot to see two very familiar cars parked next to each other. I parked next to Stiles’s blue Jeep and walked over to see Derek leaning against his Camaro.

“Where are they?” I asked, walking up to him.

He let out an exasperated sigh before answering. “They went in there to perform their great plan.”

I glanced up at the darkened building. So they had broken in? They really were trying to get me arrested.

I looked back at Derek, and noticed something strange through the window of his car. I walked closer and squinted inside.

“Derek?” I asked angrily. “Why is there a man in the back of your car?”

“Because he might be the alpha.” He said, as if it was obvious.

I turned to him and crossed my arms. “Oh, so that’s what you were doing in the woods today? Abducting innocent people?” I accused.

“No, I was running in the woods because some pleasant hunters decided to show up at my house. Namely, your little friend’s aunt.” He sneered.

My eyes widened. “Kate?”

“Yes.” He said, looking away from me. We stood in silence while I let this information sink in. He seemed to remember something. “What were you doing in the woods?” he asked.

“I was trying to talk to that lady.” I told him.

He nodded, as if he was expecting this. “What, exactly can you do?” he asked.

“Well, I guess I can heal people and stuff. Every time I use these ‘powers’ though I get a tattoo which is really inconvenient.” I said, without really thinking about what I was saying.

“Tattoos?” he asked, his eyebrows pulling together. All of the sudden, a harsh sound similar to a dying cat came screeching out of the loudspeaker. I flinched as the sound assaulted my ears.

“What the hell?” I exclaimed. A few seconds later another sound came over the loudspeaker, except this one was very different. It was a low, threatening rumble. I could feel it all the way to my bones, kind of like when you stand in front of a speaker that’s playing loud music. I looked over to see Derek seething. He snapped his head to me.

 “What do they look like?” he asked impatiently. “The tattoos, what do they look like?”

I bent down, and unzipped my boots before rolling up my leggings to reveal the tattoo. “Well, this one is a moon.”  I told him, and he knelt down to look at it. He scrutinized it, and looked like he was going to ask me a question, but thought better of it. “And the other one is on my, um, back.” I said, not able to look at him.

“Can I see it?” he asked.

“No.” I shot back. What do I look like, a slut? I wasn’t just going to strip my clothes off in front of some guy a barely knew.

He rolled his eyes. “I’m not going to grope you, I just want to see the symbol. “ he said, annoyed.

“Why?” I asked defensively.

“Because I might recognize it.” He explained. “Werewolves use symbols too. I’m wondering if we have the same ones.”

I nodded my head slowly before carefully lifting my sweater up. It was big enough to keep covering the rest of me, but I still shivered at the sudden cold. I felt his presence behind me, staring a hole into my back.

“Do you recognize it?” I asked, but he didn’t get a chance to reply as the boys joined us.

“That was AWESOME!” I heard Stiles shout, but it was cut off as he saw us. “What the hell is going on?” he asked, angry. “What’s with the nudity?” he said, walking towards us.