Chapter 21 - Even If I Beg

From the window I could see Derek's body still slumped against the brick wall outside. If I was being honest, I would say that it looked like he was already dead. But if there was even a slight chance that he was alive, I knew I needed to help him, even if he was potentially dangerous.  I knew that the Maebh side of me, my moral compass, wouldn't want anyone to suffer. But now that I knew about my inner "warrior" side, I had to wonder if it had something to do with it. If, maybe, I couldn't leave a man behind. I knew first aid and I'l was sure that I could probably persuade my past self to help me heal him.  I made up my mind and turned from the window. Jackson and Lydia were huddled in a corner, and Allison was pacing at the front of the room. Now was my time to escape. I quickly walked over to the door, but as soon as I put my hand out for the doorknob, someone pulled me back. I turned to see a panic stricken Stiles staring down at me.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked harshly. 

"Stiles, Derek needs help. If someone doesn't get to him soon, he could die." I told him slowly.

"So? You could die! And he might already be dead. Your life is more important." He said, as he moved his hands just above my elbows.

"Or he could be alive. I know you, Stiles. Even though you don't like him I know you wouldn't wish death on him. I can help him." I said pleadingly. He sighed and rested his forehead on mine, putting a hand on either side of my face. 

"Please don't go." He said quietly, but I could hear the resignation in his voice. His eyes shut as if he might be afraid of my answer. I intertwined my hand with his as he stroked my cheek with the other.

"I have to." I told him. " it's just something I have to do."

"You're going to do this no matter how much I beg, aren't you?" He said with a small smile.  He couldn't know that I wanted more than anything to stay. With anyone else, I would have been able to keep my resolve. But since it was him asking, I wanted nothing more than to tell him that I would stay. I wanted to stay here, where I felt protected when I was in his arms. But I knew I couldn't.

"I'm sorry." I told him honestly. He shook his head and looked angry for a moment, but then he did something I didn't really expect. 

He moved his face closer to mine, his lips hovering just over mine for a moment, before he connected them. It was a soft, sweet kiss and it was perfect. I wrapped my hands around his neck and kissed him back with everything i had, knowing that there was a real chance that it might not happen again. I didn't question what this kiss meant, I only enjoyed the sensation of being almost lightheaded with joy. I pulled back first, and immediately turned around and slipped out the door. I knew I would break down and stay if I saw his face. I shut the door, looking down at the knob for a moment.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Stiles walk up to the window in the door, watching. Carly had told me to let my mind go and trust my instincts. I let my mind go blank, and felt the words come to me.  "faoi ​​ghlas agus a chosaint" I whispered. "Lock and protect". And stepped back. Stiles slammed his hands on the glass and I looked up at him. 

"Maebh what did you just do?" He shouted. I saw fear in his eyes, for me and for him. He seemed to realize what I did and his eyes widened. "No!" He roared, and I turned and ran down the hall. I didn't have much time. 

I sprinted down to the lobby and slowed my steps. I didn't want the alpha to hear me. I reached the hallway that we entered in and saw the door. I just had to make it there and then I was in the clear. I started speed walking quietly down the hallway. I heard a roar that was so loud the locker doors started to shake on their hinges. Luckily, it was coming from the other side of school, near the gym. I could only hope that Scott was okay.