44

( DON'T BURY ME )

NEW HARMONY, INDIANA

STREET
[ ☼ ]

      We hear an ice cream truck's melody as it passes the screen. The camera is panning over a regular homeowners' street. It comes to a man, Tom Wepram, and pans by him as he goes to his mailbox. The camera reaches another man, Pat Fremont, and then it follows him as he goes to join Tom to collect his own mail.

      Tom turns to Pat. "Hey, Pat." Tom says.

      "Tom."

      "How's that granddaughter of yours?" Tom asks.

      Pat smiles. "Home sick, poor thing. Darn bug that's going around now." He says.

      "Aw, that's too bad. Well, you give her a big old hug from me and Judy." Tom says.

      Pat has now collected his mail and is about to leave. "You bet." He shakes Tom'a hand as he's about to leave. "Take it easy, Tom."

      As Pat lets go of Tom's hand and turns around to leave, Tom looks down at his hand that he just shook Pat's with. There's a little piece of paper that he reaches up with his other hand to unfold.

      "You too, Pat." Tom says.

      Pat leaves and Tom unfolds the piece of paper. When he's unfolded it he looks at it and then over at Pat who's closing the door to his house. He looks down at the note again and we see that Pat has written "Help Us" on it.

FREMONT HOUSE
[ ☼ ]

      Pat locks the door and turns around. As he's walking to the kitchen he steps over a body that is covered in bugs. He goes into the kitchen and we see a woman and a man in there. The woman, Mrs. Fremont, is putting icing on a cake. They all look worried and very scared.

      "Where is she?" Pat asks.

      "Upstairs, playing with Freckles." She says.

      "We just sit here, we're dead." Pat says.

      "She'll hear you." Mrs. Fremont says.

      "It's her or us."

      "It's my baby girl."

      "Not anymore. There's something inside her." Pat says. We suddenly hear footsteps coming down the stairs.

      "Shut your mouth. She's coming." Mr Fremont says. They turn around as a little girl comes in. She's covered in blood but she acts as if it's just a little dirt on her dress.

      "What were you guys talking about?" She asks.

      "Just how much we love you."

      "What... wha? What happened to your dress?" Mrs Fremont asks.

      "Oh, Freckles was mean to me." The little girl says.

      Mrs. Fremont, not knowing what to say turns to Pat, who hangs his head. She turns back to Lilith, shocked and afraid. "That's... that's nice, dear." She says.

      "Daddy, will you push me on the swing?" Lilith asks.

      "Oh... sure, honey." He walks over to her. "But don't you wanna change first? I mean, you don't want the neighbors to see... all that blood."