Chapter 3

I open my eyes and I hear the birds chirping. I feel the warm sun on my face peeking through the blinds. I smile because for a moment everything seems right in the world. It's like time has stopped and my worries slip away. This has always been my favorite part about camp. Where I'm up when the sun has just finished rising and its so quiet. I get dressed and sneak out of the cabin so I don't wake up Lexi and Lauren. I make my way to the dock and just sit at the edge and put my feet in the water. The summer wind and shine makes this a perfect day for this. I could sit here forever. After a while my phone buzzes telling me I should make my way back to the cabin in time for breakfast.

As I enter the cabin and I see that Lexi is up," Where did you go?" she asks.

"Oh just to the docks. I'll have to show you sometime." I told her.

"Yeah I'd like that." She smiles.

"Lauren get up!" I said as I throw a pillow at her.

"Ugh can you not?" She laughs throwing it at me.

"We're gonna be late for breakfast and you know how the french toast there goes fast." I told her.

She races up from her bed and gets changed quickly.

"Wow that was fast." Lexi says.

"Yeah it's for the french toast. She loves the french toast here. She could live off it." I told her.

We both look at each other and laugh as Lauren races out the door for her food. We follow her and see everyone there in line. Luckily we're early so we get the fresher fruit and hotter plates. We find a place near the window.

"I hope we're in a group together guys." Lauren says.

"Yeah!" Lexi said," I could really use a familiar face."

"Guys look the list is posted." I said.

"I'm gonna check." Lexi stands up.

"I'm coming. How bout you Megan?" Lauren asks.

"Why not? It would be nice to know where I'm going." I laugh.

I walk to the board which has gotten less crowded since I walked in. I look for my name on this list. After a few minutes I finally find it.

"I didn't any of your names in my group." Lauren says disappointed.

"Same here." Lexi said.

"That sucks. But at least we're in a cabin together and we have the weekends off. We'll probably be spending more time with each other then the campers." I told them.

"True but it would've been nice to be in a group together." Lexi said.

"Yeah totally." I said as we all head back to our seat.

The camp owner comes up on stage, "Hello everyone and welcome to another year of camp Birch!" she exclaims.

Everyone claps and cheers and a few whistles for no reason.

"Settle down. We have a big day ahead of us. The kids are excited and I'm ready to kick off another year of summer! Ok counselors we have 5 minutes until you have to go to your assigned camper group. That's all." she says.

"I guess I'll see you guys at lunch. At least we have the same lunch together." I tell them.

"Oh yeah!" Lexi brightens up.

"We'll I better get going. Let's talk at lunch." Lauren says.

I exit the dining hall and make my way to the campers area. Luckily I'm in charge of the 12-15 year olds group so they're not too old and not too young. I find a sign with kids lined up and other counselors in our group checking them in. Then all of a sudden I feel a tap on my shoulder and jump a little.

"Megan?" the British voice asks.

I turn around, "Oh hi. Sorry you kinda scared me there."

"Oh sorry I didn't mean to." Robbie says

"No it's fine. I didn't know you were in my group." I told him.

"Yeah same. But I'm kinda glad you are. I mean have a somewhat familiar face. It's my first year." he tells me.

"It's my first year of being a counselor so it's kinda of new for me too." I smile at him.

"Hi guys gather around. I'm Britney. I'm head counselor so I'm in charge of planning and activities. There are other counselors to help you with activities. So ask any of us questions if you need help. Lastly lets have fun!" She squeals," Ok our first activity is arts and crafts"

We walk to the arts and crafts table and I see glitter, tissue paper, pipe cleaners, and some glass mason jars.

"Ok everyone take a seat." Britney says. Robbie takes seat next to me. I blush a little bit but look away so he doesn't see.

"Today we're making paper flowers. Something really easy to do. You'll take two to three layers of tissue paper and crumple it into a flower shape." Britney demonstrates for us, "Then get a glue stick and gently and lightly rub it on the paper and dip it into a bowl of your color choice of glitter. Attach it to the pipe cleaner and put it into the mason jar. And you're done. You can all get started. Counselors its okay for you to make some to."

"Are you making one?" I ask Robbie.

"Probably." He said.

"I'll go up and get supplies then." I get up and walk over to the supply table and gather the stuff we need.

"Here we go." I say laying the stuff down on the table.

"Thanks." he smiles.

We finish the project in 10 minutes. Somehow we manage to get glitter everywhere. I see him take out a piece of paper and start looking at me and drawing every five minutes.

"Do you mind if I look at what you're drawing?" I ask.

"Not at all." He says showing me.

I gasp its absolutely beautiful. It was a girl with a section of hair behind her ear holding a rose smelling it.

"I kind of used you for a model." he tells me.

"Well I like it. It's amazing. I wish I could draw like that." I said. I stare at it for another minute. Just taken away by how gorgeous this is.

"I'm glad you like it. When I'm done I'll give it to you." he says.

"Oh thanks! I'd love it."

"Okay guys! Art and crafts our done. Let's move to sports." Britney says in a cheerful voice.

"We should get going. But could you give me a lesson one day?" I ask Robbie.

"Sure I'd love to." he said.