Chapter 18

He backs away and studies my face for a minute.

"Are you okay?"

I sigh, "I don't know. I don't know if this is gonna work out. I don't think I can do this."

"Megan calm down." he says.

"No I can't. I can't stop picturing you kissing her and being with her. I mean today at dinner you were being friendly with her. She was wrecking our relationship and she still is."

"No she apologized." he protested.

"Really? Maybe to you. I never got one. I don't want one anyway it's not like she'd mean it."

"She's really nice. You don't know her."

"You know cause you dated her. She hates me because I have you... Because I had you."

"I thought you wanted to try this again. This is what I want. I want you. Do you want me?"

"Not like this. You've changed. I feel like you've been wanting more than me. That I'm not enough for you. Am I?"

"You are enough for me. You are everything to me. I'd be devastated if I lost you." he assures me

"I want to believe those words but I don't... I really don't." My voice chokes as small tears run down my face.

"Look at me. I do love you. Tori and I have a past but she means nothing to me." he told me.

I shift away from his gaze, "You guys have something. I can see it. It's not what we have."

"Sure maybe some feelings came back but it's not what I feel for you. When I'm with you I feel like I can fly. I feel like I can breathe again. I feel new with you."

"But you still like her? Is that what you're saying?" I stare at him knowing that his answer could kill me.

He inhales and gulps, "Maybe. I don't know. I want you though. I don't want to choose between you guys."

I was stupid for asking. I know that he wanted me but he also wanted her, "Let me make this easier for you. I'm breaking up with you. You don't have to choose now. Be with her I don't care. Just leave."

"Megan please let me expla-"

"Just leave!" I yell.

He walks out and I slam the door and tears rush down my face. I told him I loved him and I don't think he cared. He kept telling me he loved me but he's said it so much he probably just throws it around so that I can fall back into him. Well it won't happen this time. I won't get sucked into his trap again. My heart sinks as I hear his footsteps echoing the hall as he walks further from my door. It's over. It's officially over. I want to call him back and try to restart this but I know that in the end moving on from him is what's best for me. I can start fresh and enjoy the rest of summer being happy and free. I settle on the couch and reach for the remote and turn on whatever channel is playing and fall into a daze.

__________

The door creeks open and I snap out of my daze and turn my head to see Lauren standing there.

"Hey Robbie said you were not feeling well so I thought I should check in. Everything okay?" she tilts her head.

"Yep everything is fine." I lie.

"What show are you watching?" She sits nexts to me on the couch.

"I don't know. I kinda fazed in and out to he honest. It's not that good of a show anyway from what I did watch." I told her.

"Meg are you ok? You're eyes are a bit puffy. Have you been crying?"

I rub my lips together and try to hold back tears. It started to rush back to me. The slamming of the door, the yelling, the footsteps stomping down the hallway, everything. Tears fall splashing my arms and legs.

"Meg please tell me so that I can make you feel better."

"We broke up!" I yell as my voice cracks a bit.

"Meg I'm so sorry. I should've came home sooner."

"No, no. It's fine. You don't need to worry about me. I can do this by myself. I want you to have fun. You don't have to take care of me all the time as much as I appreciate it."

"I want to. I don't have to take care of you but I want to. And I know you'd do the same for me." she pauses, "how did it happen?"

"It felt weird at dinner. I had a feeling that he still liked Tori since the kiss. It just felt off. I didn't even want hold his hand when we walked in the restaurant . I just felt like there was too much tension for this to work again. So I called it off. He said he still kinda liked her and didn't know who to choose so I left." I slow my breathing and sigh,"I told him I love him and he kissed her."

"I'm sorry this happened Meg. You don't deserve this. But now you can move on and learn from this. For now just look forward and don't look back." she comforts me.

"Thanks Lauren. This means a lot to me. I know we didn't get along when we we're like 14 but I'm glad we're close now."

"Me too." she smiles.

"I'm kinda glad we're leaving tomorrow though. I don't have to think of Robbie. Sucks that he lives 30 minutes away from me but I won't have to see him. Nothing there will remind me of him. It will be new. One day I'll find someone better."

"You will find someone who's better. I promise."

"I'm glad we talked."

"Me too. Listen I'm getting tired and I should start packing. So should you."  she yawned.

The clock reads 1:28," oh yeah I should start packing too. Night Lauren."

"Night Megan."

__________

I get up from the couch and head to my room. I change in to my pjs and take out an outfit for tomorrow morning. I gather all my clothes from the closet and dresser. They pile up on my bed. I bring my suitcase and sit on the floor and fold my clothes and place them in my suitcase. After 30 mins I finally finish. I zip it up and see a white paper on the outside pocket from the corner of my eye. Grabbing the paper I unfold it and see the drawing of the view from the camp dock that Robbie drew me the first night we actually talked. I stare at the paper and look at it one last time. Tearing the drawing it into shreds I stand up and throw it in the trash.