Chapter 14

I gasping for air. I feel like I'm drowning and I can't breathe. How could he do this? How do I always get hurt in the end? I run back to my room and run into Lauren's room bursting into tears the moment I step in her room.

"Megan! Whats wrong?" she leaps up from the be and throws her arms around me.

"I'm ... So... S... Stupid." I manage to say through sobs.

"What happened?" she asks in a calm voice.

I try to breathe and quiet my sobs. I wipe away a few tears and take a gulp,"I went to get my jacket and..." I feel the tears coming back," and he was kissing Tori." I burst out crying again.

"Meg! I'm so sorry. I really thought he was a nice guy."

"Well, I did too. I guess we were both fooled."

"Do you want me to do anything? I'll hurt him." Lauren says with a smile.

"That would be nice but no. I think ice cream would work." I give a tiny smile back.

She runs to the fridge and looks around for a ben and jerry's cookie dough pint, "Here." she hands it to me.

"Thanks. You know what sucks?" I ask.

"What?"

"Just putting yourself out there. I mean you so vulnerable at that moment. I tell him I love him and he starts kissing his ex. I'm done with boys."

"Don't say that. You just haven't met the right boy. He will come along and you'll forget about him."

"But what if I don't want to forget? Is it bad I still want him but I hate him?"

"No I think it's normal for you to want him and hate him. Just remember that this will pass one day."

"I shouldn't have even glanced at him then I wouldn't be in this mess. I didn't even want a boyfriend in the first place."

"It probably still would've happened. It seemed like fate you know? Both of you at camp then being in the same group of counselors, then going to the same beach. It seemed like it was fate."

"Well then fate sucks." I roll my eyes and laugh a bit.

"This will be behind you one day." she said.

"Listen I'm really tired. I think I'll go to bed."

"Ok Meg. Goodnight."

I walk back to my room and get under the covers immediately. Silent tears roll down my face as I try to go to sleep. I keep thinking about it. I know I shouldn't, I just feel so used. Soon enough after all my worrying my eye lids slowly close. 

___________

The sun shines through the window and my eyes open up for a new day. My body feels like a ton of bricks. My phone lights up and I look over to see his name on my screen My heart aches just thinking about him.

I shoot him a quick tiny response back and put my phone down

I shoot him a quick tiny response back and put my phone down. Suddenly Lauren opens the door and startles me a bit.

"Hi I just wanted to check up on you. I brought you some breakfast." she gives me a comforting smile and sets the tray down next to my bed.

"Thanks. I could be doing better but I'm doing okay." I told her.

"That's good. You need some fun today. You're coming to the boardwalk with me and no getting out of it."

"Ugh whatever." I roll my eyes with a tiny laugh.

"Don't use that tone with me young lady." she scoldingly teases me.

"Thanks though. I could really use a fun night to get my mind off of him."

"It'll be a girls night just what you need. I'll even do your makeup I can do a killer cat eye."

My hand rummages through my suitcase looking for the perfect outfit. I pull out some navy blue lace shorts and a white flowing shirt and pair it with some converse.

"You look hot." Lauren says giving me a tiny wink.

I laugh,"Thank. You look amazing as usually."

"Now let me do your makeup. Sit." her hand gestures to the edge of the bed.

"Close your eyes." She instructs me.

I do as she says and feel the tiny little brush sweeping over my eyelid.

"This looks great! she said,"Just one more finishing touch and... done! Open!"

Lauren's eyes widen as she looks at my face.

"Is it good?" I ask.

"Good? You look great! Oh I'm so excited for tonight." she says in a sing song voice.

I look around for a mirror and reach for my phone on the nightstand next to the bed. I open the camera app and feel a smile grow on my face. My mouth drops down as I look at the my bold red lips.

"This is amazing Lauren. I love how my lips really tie in the golden brown eyeshadow."

"Yeah I know." She flips her hair and gives a tiny smile.

"Let's go to the boardwalk before the night is gone!" I grab her arm and drag her out the door as we both laugh.

We run out the lobby door and walk on the beach. The tidal waves crash and the sound echoes around me. We find some stairs that lead to the boardwalk, lights flash in front of me from the ferris wheel and arcade as soon as I step on the pier.

_____________

Lauren and I have a great time stuffing our faces with ice cream and going on all the rides. We walk around and look at all the shops selling the same old Carolina beach shirts. Lauren looks at the hermit crabs and I look at the key chains that never have my name spelled right on them. The door swings open making me jump a bit. My eyes see the unmistakably brown hair and green eyes. His eyes meet mine and I quickly avert his stare. My eyes look at him again and he's still looking at me. My heart is racing as I see him step closer and closer to me.

"I thought you couldn't make it to the boardwalk." He said in a quiet voice.

I turn the key chain display pretending I didn't hear him hoping he'll get the idea and walk away.

"Megan? Megan answer me? Are you trying to avoid me? Why did you lie to me?"

"Why did you lie to me?" I respond in a loud tone making a few people in the store turn heads. My cheeks turn red and I want to cry.

"Listen I have to go." I brush past him. Robbie grabs my arm and is about to speak but I yank my arm from his grasp and walk out the door.

"Are you ok? I'm so sorry that happened? I didn't know he would be here." Lauren comforts me.

"Can we just go back to the hotel?" I try to say blinking back a few tears.

She nods and we walk away from the chaos leaving that terrifying moment behind me.