Chapter Twenty Five: How Can This Be?

We arrived at my parent’s office downtown. Justin wrapped his arm around my waist holding me closely to him as we made our way inside. Once we made it inside we looked at the list of offices in the building and made our way to the elevators.

“Why does it have to be on the eighteenth floor?” I sighed. “I don’t know but it’ll be ok I’m right here with you.” He smiled squeezing me. I hated heights especially when travelling to them in an elevator that had a glass side allowing you to enjoy the view outside as you went higher and higher.

I barely made it in far enough to let the doors shut because I wasn’t about to get very close to the glass part. I buried my head in Justin’s chest as we started going up. We were the only ones on there and it was nice because if more people had been on there I think I would have freaked out even more.

It finally dinged signally we were on our floor which I was more than happy to be getting off that stupid thing. “See that wasn’t so bad now was it?” Justin asked as I pulled away from his chest stepping into the lobby of the office.

“Torture.” I smirked as we made our way to the information desk. “Hello how can I help you today?” the lady asked. “Hi I’m Jayden Rutledge, Jason and Jenna’s daughter, I was wondering if I could talk to Lane Hastings to see if he has heard from them.” I smiled at her.

“Actually Mr. Hastings is in a meeting can I take a message for you?” she asked looking back up from her computer. “No this is pretty much an emergency I need to talk to him now.” I replied feeling the tears building back up.

“Let me contact his secretary for you maybe she will allow you to wait in her office for him.” The lady said picking up the phone and dialing a number. After a few minutes of listening to her talking to Mallory she smiled up at us. “She said you can come on back.” The lady pushed a button unlocking the main office door allowing us to walk inside.

I made my way straight back to Mallory’s desk which was just outside of Lane’s office. “Jayden what’s going on?” she asked as I hugged her. “I got a call from mom it was hard to hear anything other than her crying and screaming.” I replied as my tears fell from my face.

Justin wrapped his arm around my waist pulling me closer to him to help comfort me. “Oh my, that is terrible they haven’t checked in with me in at least a week but you know how your dad is he usually calls my dad directly” she smiled.

“I know that is why I came here to talk to him.” I said as she patted my back. Her and I had grown up together always teaming up at the company picnics and family events. She was the only other girl that was my age so it was natural we were pretty close. Plus her father and my dad had been best friends since high school which is how my parents landed the job here.

“I would call dad but he is in the middle of a company merger meeting and I’m afraid I can’t bother him today they are trying to finish the deal and sign the contracts and such.” She frowned. “That’s fine I can wait just being here knowing I will have answers soon makes me feel a little better.” I smiled as we sat down beside her desk.

“So you must be the infamous Gavin I used to always hear so much about at the picnics.” Mallory said smiling at Justin. I felt Justin cringe when she said that. “Actually no Gavin and I haven’t been together since my senior year.” I smiled.

“Oh shoot I’m sorry I’ve been out of the loop since I went away to college in January.” She smiled. “Its fine I forgot you graduated earlier and got your early acceptance into that administrative secretary program.” I smiled at her.