Chapter Twenty Six: Broken Shell

I woke up to my phone ringing when I looked at the time I realized we had only been asleep for a couple hours so groggily I answered the phone. “Miss Rutledge, this is Dr. Watz I am the one overseeing the care of your parents.” He stated.

“Is everything ok did something happen?” I asked sitting up on the bed. No doubt about it I was definitely awake now and so was Justin. “Actually I have good news and bad.” He replied. “I grabbed Justin’s hand to prepare for what he was going to tell me next.

“I’ll start with the good, your mother will be able to come home in a couple of days.” He hesitated. “What about my dad?” I asked feeling the tears well up in my eyes. “I’m afraid there hasn’t been any change we had to shock him three different times throughout the night to keep him alive but he hasn’t once been conscious since arriving.” Dr. Watz paused again letting everything set in.

“What does all of that mean?” I asked as my voice cracked. “I’m afraid if your father’s condition doesn’t improve in the next day or two that there will either be permanent brain damage or the chance that he might never wake up.” He answered.

“He will be waking up before that happens.” I cried. “I’m sorry Miss Rutledge but we are going to do everything in our power to try and make that happen I promise.” Dr. Watz replied. “Thank you for calling we will be up later to see them.” I said before hanging up the phone.

“Sweetheart I’m so sorry.” Justin said pulling me to him. “Nothing to be sorry about because I know my dad and he will pull through this he is just pushing the limits most likely he will wake up at the very last minute laughing and carrying on like his normal self.” I smiled.

“I hope so babe.” He said pulling me back down so he could cuddle up to me. After an hour or two of listening to him snore I felt the heaviness of my eyes take over forcing me to close them and I finally drifted back to sleep.

I woke up freaking out until I remembered where I was and what was going on. I looked at the time to see that we had slept well past one. I jumped out of bed and ran to take a quick shower before getting ready to go see my parents.

“Why didn’t you wake me up babe I would have joined you in the shower?” Justin asked as I was stepping out. “I’m sorry you just looked so peaceful.” I replied kissing him as I moved past him.

“Slow down babe I want to go with you when you go over there so please don’t leave without me.” He said jumping in the shower. “I won’t I promise.” I hollered back at him as I made my way into the bedroom to get dressed.

He had finished getting dressed right as I finished doing my hair. “Perfect timing.” I said kissing him. “I wanted to do my hair but I know you’re in a hurry so I just ran some mousse through it in hopes it won’t be too afro like today.” He grinned.

“I love your hair no matter how you style it.” I smiled running my hand through his curls. I grabbed my purse and we headed out the door. It was like we couldn’t make it to the hospital fast enough to see my parent’s I was practically dragging him as we made our way across the foot bridge to the elevators.

I finally calmed down once we were in the ICU wing. Once we reached the desk I asked for Nancy only for the nurse sitting at the desk to tell me that Nancy was off so she called a different nurse to escort us where we needed to go.

Once the nurse came out to greet us I told her who I was and that I wanted to go see my dad before my mom that way I could spend more time with her since I knew I couldn’t spend much time with him.

“Hey daddy I told you Justin and I would be back to see you.” I said walking into his room. He looked just as bad as he had the day before. I sat and talked to him about anything and everything that crossed my mind basically carrying on a conversation with him as if he could hear me.