Chapter 3...

I pounded on the door and it finally flew open. "You are not...Edlyn?" Bard let out a sigh. "Do come in, I apologize. I have had enough of pigheaded dwarves." He opened the door somewhat wider. I slid inside and he shut it behind me. We both turned facing one another at the same time.

"I know...they are quite a handful..." Memories came running back into my mind. "They are entering that mountain?" I asked just to be sure.

"Yes..." He looked sad as he walked closer to me.

"We have to stop them Bard-"

"Edlyn they will not listen, they do not care! In the morning they leave...the only thing the people of Laketown can do is-" He paused for a minute letting out a sigh. "Wait..."

My heart started to pound, I didn't want to go through such an awful tragedy once more. My priority was to keep Lezarin safe. "Then we leave..."

"There is nowhere to go Edlyn, the only thing we get out of this is ruin." He said coldly.

"The dwarf must have offered something?" I can't believe I just referred to Thorin as "the dwarf". Bard came closer looking down at me, he was a tall man and very intimidating.

"He offered us gold...gave us his word but something tells me he will not live up to it."

"He isn't like that Bard..."

"Just how would you know?" He leaned down making me back up a little.

"Because..." I sighed. "20 years ago I lived in that mountain with Thorin, he was the love of my life." I took my ring off holding it out to Bard. He took it in his fingers and looked at me.

"What is this supposed to mean...?"

"The Dwarven runes engraved in it...his initial's are signed next to it." Bard looked somewhat closer than his eyes were back on me instantly.

"What do the runes mean?" I shrugged when he asked.

"I haven't a clue." I said as he handed the ring back to me. I slipped it back on.

"Edlyn...I'm not in this anymore, do what you want." He shook his head. Fear crossed me, I was on my own now. A cold chill ran up my spine as I thought about entering that mountain. Maybe I should just stay out of it...but I still cared for the man I once loved.

"Alright..." I said with a curtsy and left. When I got outside I let out a sigh. I didn't know what to do, all I wanted to do was keep everyone safe.