13 The Selfish War Begins

The sky was grey, and small drops of water fell from the heavy clouds above. Those brown boots clomped along the stone walkway, only stopping once Herobrine was spotted.
"You were right."
Notch paused, confused of what his brother just said.
"Excuse me?"
He asked, very cautious.
"As much I hate to admit it, you were right."
His voice was straining, like every single word was scratching his throat.
"You were fucking right Notch. I cannot kill that boy. I'll admit that I'm not as evil as I'd like to be."
Notch couldn't help but smile a bit. Seeing Herobrine this weak was almost pleasurable.
"Ah, and why not? You've killed every other mob, so whys Steve so different?"
Herobrines condescending thoughts quickly shifted. He smiled a bit, remembering what the boy said to him.
"It's because I'm not a monster..."
Notch was shocked. This side of his brother was strange.
"Did Steve tell you that?"
Herobrine nodded a bit.
"Ah...that does sound like something he'd say. Though I honestly cannot stand by and watch you take my little sunshine."
Herobrines eyes narrowed.
"So that's how it's going to be? You knew I wouldn't be able to kill that brat. Yet, even so, you're going to try your best to separate us?"
Notch grinned, almost like Herobrine usually does.
"Nothing personal brother. It's just that Steve was mine before he was yours."
There it is. That sweet, devilish grin that only Herobrine wears so well.
"Steven belongs to me. I will instill that fact into his brain, so that I will have the one thing that you want. You'll never have him as long as I'm around."
They share that determined glare.

Though good and bad, the two brothers are more alike than they realize.