The Devil Wears Girl Jeans (Chapter 12)

The final bell rang, and if there had been an award for the stealthiest get away ever, it would've gone to me. Id spent all of lunch, and the breaks between classes avoiding Sammy by smoothly hiding in large groups and taking the hallways that no one ever used. It was a pain, but I was definitely not ready to confront him yet, considering I had no idea how I was going to tell him I didn't like him without making him hate me.

I stumbled down the stairs as fast as possible, pushing past people and stumbling over my feet until I reached the bottom. Id seen continents move faster than the people in my school, which was funny considering normal people would be trying to get out of the school as fast as possible, like me for example. Pushing a freshman out of my way, I weaved through the crowd, nearly home free, but naturally the world wouldn't let me get off that easily.

“Hey, Hartley! Slow down!”

I cringed, and mentally debated whether I should slow down, or act like I hadn't heard them and take off in a sprint. I chose option number two, and sped up as much as I could without looking suspicious.

“Hey! Have you been avoiding me?” he said, grabbing the back of my hoodie and putting an end to my getaway.

“I.. erm..” I struggled to come up with a reasonable excuse, but when I turned around, it wasn't Sammy.

“Halden! Oh my god, I'm so happy its you.”

“Who were you expecting it to be?” He asked, his face crumpling in confusion.

“Sammy.” I said quickly, glancing over my shoulder to make sure he wasn't around. “I need to leave. Like, right now. So if you'll excuse me...”

I turned away from Halden, and managed to take a few steps before he caught me again, this time yanking on my sleeve.

“Wait, I wanted to know if you'd like to go to the park with me. Like... now?”

I thought it over for a second, pursing my lips. If I was with Halden, there was a good chance Sammy wouldn't bother me. As long as he was around, I was safe. On the other hand, if I went with him, I'd probably be late for my babysitting gig at Tristan's house tonight.

“Cant, sorry. I have to go home and sit alone in my room for hours.”

He gave me a blank look, and I sighed.

“Kidding. I can go, but only for a few hours.”

“Awesome.” He grinned, taking my backpack from me and throwing it over his shoulder. “Lets go.”

We headed out the front door of the school, and cut across the parking lot, where I saw a familiar black car idling, some song with a lot of bass making the windows shake. Crap.

Tristan raised his eyebrow at me from the drivers seat, and I gave him an apologetic smile. Id totally forgotten to tell him I didn't need a ride home, and he'd sat there waiting for at least 15 minutes already. Not that he'd mind, he was so forgiving it just made me feel worse. He raised his hand as if to tell me it was okay, and I smiled before continuing on my way.