The Devil Wears Girl Jeans (Chapter 46)

“I cant wait to meet your grandparents, old people are the cutest things in the entire world.” Lacey told Seth excitedly, grabbing her bag from the mountain of luggage on the car seat beside me. I was pretty sure that this was the first time in months that I'd seen Lacey happy, but of course her happiness had nothing to do with me and everything to do with Seth, because Lacey still hated me. Great.

“Yeah, well. Say that to our new couch that my grandma peed on last year. You coming, Hart?” Seth asked, taking Lacey's bag from her and swinging it over his shoulder.

“Nah, I have to make a phone call. I'll come in in a minute, okay?”

“Okay,” he smiled, turning and heading towards the front steps. Lacey didn't follow, and instead lingered around the van, her eyes narrowed at me in suspicion.

“Calling Halden?”

“Yeah, I am. Can you please leave me alone for like 5 minutes? This is super important.”

“Oh, I'll leave you alone for a lot more than five minutes.” she snapped, turning and storming off, if you could even call it that. It was really hard to storm anywhere in a foot of snow, but she still managed to get her point across. I sighed and pulled out my phone, fumbling through the contacts list until I found Haldens number.

“Hey you,” he greeted me on the second ring, and I smiled at the sound of his voice.

“Hey. How long till you leave for you cruise?”

“Uhm I'm literally getting in the car as we speak. Listen I gotta go, but I'll text you in a few days okay? Bye.” he said, quickly hanging up before I had a chance to answer. I stared at the blank screen of my phone for a long time before Dallas finally came outside to see what was taking me so long.

“Hey, you okay?” he asked when he saw the expression on my face, his eyebrows furrowing inconcern.

“Yeah,” I lied, “I'm great.”

“Great at lying, maybe. But not great.” he said quietly, taking my hand in his. Because that's the thing about best friends, isn't it? They can always tell when somethings wrong, no matter how hard you try to hide it.

************************************

“And this is the bathroom where Seth one time put an entire tub of Vaseline in my hair when I was like, five.”

“It didnt wash out for like a month, mom was pissed.” Seth snickered from behind us

“Are you done? I'm trying to take my friends on a tour here,” Tristan snapped, leading us back into the guest room that Dallas and Quinn would be sharing. “If you look to your left, you will see Lard Ass, my grandmas cat who probably weighs as much as a television. To your right is a picture of my grandma and her friends in highschool where she was the ringleader of bitches. If you look closely, you'll practically be able to feel her judging you.”

“Are we almost done here? I have to pee.” Lacey announced, leaning against the door frame with her arms crossed. Tristan sighed and waved the five of us out of the room, and I happily left, excited to get back to the room I was staying in. It had a massive window seat that overlooked the snow covered beach, and two cute little quilt covered beds. The only unpleasant thing about it, though, was that I was going to have to share it with Lacey.

“Wow, why did you get the big room?” Dallas grumbled as he followed me in, his eyes darting around the room enviously.

“Because Tristan's grandma has a soft spot for girls and gave us the room. I mean, I don't blame her, she has seven grandsons.”

“Yeah, I guess that makes sen-” Dallas stopped and looked over his shoulder at the doorway where a figure now stood, his hands tucked in his pockets, looking at the floor. “Oh, hey Grant.”

“Hey Dallas. I need to talk to Hartley, if that's okay.”

“What?” Dallas and I said in unison, both equally confused. There was no one Grant hated more in this world than me, and now he wanted to talk to me willingly? Something was up.

“Yeah, its really urgent, so can you, y'know..” Grant said, tilting his head in the direction of the door. Dallas silently got up and left, sending me one last confused look over his shoulder.

“Hartley, I have a secret. I cant tell any of my brothers, and I cant tell any of my friends, but I need to tell someone and even though I don't want to, I think I can trust you.”

“Of course you can, Grant. What is it?”

“I like someone.”

“Okaaaay...” I said, not quite getting why this was such a big deal. Grant squirmed nervously in the door way for a minute, looking like he was contemplating turning around and running out of the room, but eventually he took a deep breathe and said:

“I like Dallas.”