The Devil Wears Girl Jeans (Chapter 58)

“Quinn, can you unload the dishwasher before the rest of your friends get here?” Mrs Carr asked, scrubbing furiously at a non existent speck on the counter top.

“Sorry mom, but I'm a bad bitch and bad bitches don't empty the dishwasher,” he grunted, smashing away at the buttons on his controller.

“Quinn,” she said in a stony voice, and Quinn immediately stood up, stumbling over furniture to get to the dishwasher.

“Sorry, mom. I love you.”

She shot me a smug smile as if to say “that's how its done” before retreating into her bedroom.

“So who else are we waiting for?” I asked, and Lacey and Dallas shrugged, too focused on their game of UNO to really pay attention to what I was saying. Quinn, on the other hand, was actually listening to me, for what was probably the first time in his life.

“Well, Sammy's picking up the cake, and Tristan's not answering his phone but he'll probably be here soon. Other than that, there's no one. Not a lot of people can tolerate us long enough to become our friends, do you realize that? They're missing out on so much.”

“Yeah, it must suck missing out on playing UNO in your living room while everyone else is partying.” Dallas grumbled sarcastically from the couch, and Quinn flipped him off. Dallas was too busy raging about Lacey's last move, though, to notice.

“YOU ASSHOLE. I CANT BELIEVE THIS. I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS, AND THEN YOU GO AND HIT ME WITH A DRAW FOUR? THAT IS NOT OKAY. NO.” he shouted, throwing his cards in her face.

“FRIENDSHIP HAS NO PLACE AT THE UNO TABLE.” Lacey yelled back, and pretty soon they were wrestling on the ground, Lacey trying to shove cards in Dal's mouth while Dallas squealed and flailed, kicking over the coffee table and sending even more cards onto the floor in the process.

“Dallas, stop breaking my house,” Quinn said calmly, grabbing Dallas by the back of his shirt and pulling him to his feet. “Lacey, stop breaking my friends, please.”

“Don't tell me what to do.” she huffed, picking a card out of her hair.

“Hey guys! I'm here,” Sammy called in a sing song voice, sticking his head into the room. Aubrey trailed in behind him, carrying a bag of chips and a box of Dr Pepper. Quinn smiled as he took them from her, and she blushed. I was sensing a crush, but it would only end badly. After all, Dallas had liked Aubrey forever, and for Quinn to act on his feelings for her would completely violate the bro code. Then again, maybe I was just reading too far into things, like always.

“Tristan should be here soon,” Sammy said, hugging Lacey, and then me in greeting, “I saw him leaving Hartley's house on the way here.”

“Wait, what? Why was he at my house?”

“Guess we'll find out soon enough, eh?” he smiled, sinking down into the couch.

“What do you me-” Lacey started to ask, but was quickly cut off with a, “HEY PARTY PEOPLE,” from the front door as Tristan barrelled into the room.