The Grunt Festival: part 1

I was waiting for Merida under the warm sun, leaning on the trunk of a giant tree. I was a bit worried she wouldn't show up as it has already been thirty minutes since I arrived here and I have yet to spot her.

Astrid was out, busy with some of the remaining preparations for this ear's festival. She's always been a great help in things like this. Plus, she's been dying to get everything started! She loves hosting festivals and other important and joyous occasions like this, so it always keeps her busy in these times of the year. So she said that I might as well spend it with others than being alone for the rest of the day.

"Hiccup!" I heard Merida's voice coming from afar.

"Hmm?" I was looking from all sides but I still couldn't see where she was.

"Here! Hiccup! Here!" She said, waving her arms.

There she was! I ran towards her and gave her a firm hug.

"Missed me that much?" she said, jokingly.

"Pfft! You wish!" I said, making both of us chuckle.

"So... How's Astrid with the preparations?" she asked.

"Doing fine, I guess. I don't really do much of stuff like that so I don't really know much about any of it..." I shrugged.

"Seriously?" she giggled.

"By the way, I like your outfit. The 'Viking look' suits you very well." I said, complimenting her.

"Thanks! Ruffnut and your mum chose this for me. they were like, 'oo! Wear this! Ooo! And wear that! Now you'll look like a proper Viking princess!' they kept saying that to me and in the end, they were right! Even you can't take your eyes off of me! Haha!" She said nudging me from the sides.

"Haha! I can't say that I disagree with any of you. You look great, Merida." I said. "And I really like with what they did to your hair, it's quite tamed! hahah-" I said before being elbowed to the gut.

"Whad'ya say, Braids?" she said referring to my hair.

"Nothing," I said, very friendly.

"Good," she said, puffing out some air. "Your mum and friend did a lot of hard work into fixing all this up for me..." she said, looking fairly disappointed.

"Sorry... I didn't mean it that way..." I said, "You actually look even more beautiful than you usually are cause I can see your face clearly now that all you hair is managed."

"Heh... Thanks..." She said, looking down.

~

For the next few hours, we went to different stalls, trying all sorts of foods and fun activities. In the end of it all, we were pooped.

"Hey, wanna laze around somewhere where it's comfier? Like where there's a couch involving us sitting and lying on it?" she suggested.

"Sounds like a plan!" I said.

~

We ended up dozing off for a few more hours and when we woke up, the sun was setting.

"Hey, wake up...." I said, shaking her, trying to wake her up.

"What!" she said.

"It's almost time for the nightly activities of the Grunt Festival! It's even better than the early morning ones! Trust me on this." I said, looking at her with excitement written all over my face.

"Okay... Okay..." she said. "Now get outta my face, I need to get up. And I can't do that with your face above of me. We don't want our lips going anywhere near each other's as I don't want an angry blonde Viking with a dragon after my head."

I was so shocked by her statement. I couldn't tell if she meant it in a joking manner or was she actually serious about this.

'Is that how you feel about all this?' is what I wanted to say but I ended up saying this shit instead, "I'd rather not have that too..."

And I lifted up my head and started walking to the door.

"I'll wait for you outside," I said as I opened the front door of my house.

~

He looked hurt... Why....

As he left, I was just there, contemplating about what I had just done. I shouldn't have said that.... She is his Fiance... I should probably apologise....

~

I waited for awhile before Merida came out.

"You, all right? What took you so long?" I asked.

"Nothing important. Don't worry..." she said.