Chapter Twenty-Three

It's warm inside the Conire family house. I'm greeted with tears and cry's and hugs. Jon gives me a sad look, and a tight hug. Cali cry's into my shoulder, mumbling 'I'm sorry'. Havana gives me a long hug, and Richie gives me a short one. Marlene isn't around.

"Where's Marlene?" I ask, as Havana and Luke lead me inside.

"She's up in your girls' room. Why don't you go talk to her." Havana says solemnly. I nod, and pull my suitcases up the stairs. The door is closed to our room. I knock, and Marlene mumbles 'go away'.

"But honey, you need help from Mama Amber." I mock her, remembering the day she came over to help me get ready for my date with Louis. Forget about that Amber, it's just another memory to leave behind now.

"Amber..." Marlene whispers through the door.

"Yep, it's me... One and only." I sigh. She opens the door. She's standing there in a pair of old jeans and a sweatshirt. Her blonde hair, usually so clean and neat, hangs limp on her head in a tangled mess. Her eyes are swollen and red.

"Marlene..." I pull her into a hug, and she begins to cry again.

"Everyone hates me, Amber..."

"I don't... I don't hate you at all, Marlene. I love you..." I whisper to her.

"Amber, why are you here... And why do you have your suitcases?" She asks, pulling away and looking down at my bags. She looks back up at me, and it takes everything in me to not burst out crying.

"I um... Louis uh..."

"Oh... He turned out to be trouble..." I can't take it anymore.

"That is not why, okay Marlene! I don't understand why everyone thinks that! He was the best person ever, in fact he still is the best person ever!" I yell out, causing her to stumble backwards.

"Then why are you here?"

"Because his management hates me! They don't like me being with him, okay! It has nothing to do with him being 'trouble'! Marlene I love him and he loves me..." I begin to bawl, and I press my hands to my forehead to stop the headache coming. I hear people coming up the stairs. I want to run away, but there is no where to run. Marlene pulls me into the room, slamming the door. I fall to the floor, leaning against the door.

"Marlene, Amber... Is everything okay?" Havana knocks on the door. No doubt they can hear me crying my eyes out so no need to hide it now. Marlene doesn't answer, she just sits on the bed staring at me with sad eyes.

"Amber... We heard you screaming..." Luke comes to the door now.

"Go away!" I suddenly scream out, and Marlene gasps, jumping back on the bed. No one else knocks on the door or says anything. They leave me and Marlene in the room. I sit there on the floor crying for a long, long time.

****

"Amber... Will you tell me about Louis?" Marlene whispers from the bed. She's wrapped up in the blankets, facing the rain covered window. I still sit on the floor, but my eyes have dried. I don't know what time it is, it's too dark outside to tell.

"Sure... What do you want to know?" I sigh, pulling myself up off the floor. I slowly walk over to the bed, and sit at her feet.

"Tell me about him, tell me about what you guys did..."

"Okay... Well, he's really good at Fifa, he beat me six times in a row once... And he likes to watch movies and drink tea... He likes to swim, too. He's fun to sleep with, he's warm and soft...but... I don't really know how to describe him..." I whisper, staring out the window with her.