Chapter Thirty-Three

I grab new underwear out of my bag quietly, and head back into the bathroom. I quickly change again, stumbling more than ever. When I'm done, I gather up my wet clothes and throw them over the counter. I walk out, crumpling onto the floor where I threw the pillow.

I wake up to someone pounding on the door.

"Ugh, Amber!" Marlene huffs, rolling over in her bed. I sigh, standing up and stretching. The person knocks again, more urgent this time.

"Coming!" I yell, looking over at the clock on the nightstand. 8:24. I walk over to the door, sliding the lock and pulling the door open.

"Paul?" I question, but he pushes past me into the room. I turn back to the hallway, but no one else is there. I close the door and walk back into the big room.

"What do you mean? They just decided they weren't going to tell us all of this?" I hear Charlie growl from his chair in the back.

"No, not until they had to leave! But what the hell, they can't just leave halfway through the tour!" I hear Paul growl back. I throw myself up onto the counter, kicking my legs back and forth.

Paul and Charlie continue talking, but I can't tell exactly what they're saying. I sit thinking about how much time we have left being part of the tour, and I realise it's only a few short weeks. Six at the most. Six weeks left with Louis, until I'm stuck back in America, living with someone who doesn't seem to like me anymore. I can't bear to think about that right now, it's too much. I grip the edge of the marble counter, my knuckles turning white.

"Well Charlie, get those kids up, we have to be at the centre at noon." Paul sighs, walking out into the kitchen were I sit.

"See you later, Amber." He sympathetically smiles up at me as he walks by.

"Bye Paul." I sigh. He waves goodbye, opening the door. He walks out, and I hear Charlie mumble something in the other room. I hop off the counter and trudge over to my bag.

"Well good morning, Amber." Charlie laughs when he sees me.

"Morning Charlie." I walk out, into the bathroom. I lock the door, and reach in the shower to turn the water on. I find the cold knob, and turn it up. The water sprays out, freezing cold droplets spraying my arm. I shiver, and turn the knob the the opposite way. The water turns warm and I strip of my clothes, and grab my little shampoo bottles. I hop in the warm shower, letting the water run over me.

"Amber, ready to go?" Charlie questions me, knocking on the door.

"Yeah, coming." I mumble, gathering my things. I open the door, and walk past him over to my pile of suitcases and bags. I throw my old clothes into a bag, and turn to face Charlie.

"Come on, everyone's waiting." He says grabbing my arm. He hauls me out of the room, and down to the elevator. I watch my boots slap against the red and green carpet as we walk down the hallway. He pulls me into the elevator, and presses the button. We stand silently side by side as the numbers tick away.

"It's going to be tough." Charlie sighs. I don't say anything.

"Just leaving the boys, especially for you, I know." He continues.

"Yeah, I don't know if I can say goodbye forever." I whisper, still staring at my boots. The doors ding open, and Charlie leads me out. The six boys, Marlene, Cali, and Paul all stand in the lobby waiting. As we walk closer, Louis comes and takes my hand, pulling me against his side. I squeeze his hand, and he squeezes back.

"Come on, our last concert in England tonight." Paul sighs, walking towards the door. I can already hear the girls screaming outside and it drains any last of me out. I rest my head against his shoulder as we walk out, heading towards the vans. The girls are barricaded back this time, and it's a breeze to walk through all the girls. We climb into Charlie's van, all the way into the back. We get the go from Paul and we begin to roll past the crowd of girls. I tug on the hem of my dress as I watch the girls pass by, jumping, mouths agape and arms waving. Louis sets his hand down on top of mine in my lap, linking his fingers around mine. I look up at him, and he smiles.