Chapter Fourty

Louis' eyes never leave the window as we make our way through Berlin. I watch as his fingers tap frantically over his leg as we pass by cars and people on the streets, and I wonder whats got him so worked up.

Finally, we make it to the airport, and after a few intense moments of screaming fans and angry flight attendants, we board the plane. We sit in wait for twenty minutes, and then we're in the air, on our merry way over to Vienna. And I still have no idea whats wrong with Louis.

He hasn't said a single word for an hour, and he wont stop tapping away with his fingers. I know the others can tell somethings up, but they pretend not to notice, and just shrug when I ask about it.

So I give up. I decide not to worry about it. Which is something I wish I wouldn't have done.

****

"What do you mean, 'ex-girlfriend?!'"

"I mean... Yes, my ex-girlfriend..." He mumbles, still not making eye contact.

"So... she's just going to show up and expect to stay with us at here in the hotel?!" I clench my teeth together, imagining this 'ex-girlfriend' getting a chance to get her hands on Louis.

"I know... I know, I should have told her she couldn't come... That it'd mess everything up... But I... I couldn't even think straight... I don't know, I'm sorry Amber..." He sighs, hanging his head in his hands. He drops down onto the crisp clean hotel sheets covering the bed, his elbows resting on his knees. I drop my mouth open to speak, but nothing comes out. I just stand there in front of him, clenching my fists.

I groan, and fall onto the bed next to him. I take in a shaky breath, rubbing my hands over my jeans.

"We'll figure something out... For now, lets just... I don't know... Let's go... live." He sighs, dropping his hands away from his head and turning to me.

Marlene, Harry, Louis, and I climb into one of the newly rented vans together, talking about all the places we want to see. Me and Marlene hop in the back as Harry starts up the van and Louis slides into the passenger seat next to him.

We drive around, and around the city, pointing out the open windows and singing along with the radio. It seems as though Louis' totally forgotten about our little dilemma, but I sure haven't. It keeps gnawing at my brain, and I keep glancing at Louis, but he seems completely fine. I hope this goes well.

****

"When is she coming?" I question Louis, running my fingers over the dusty windowsill.

"Sometime tonight. Don't worry, darling, it'll be fine." Louis sighs wrapping his arms around my waist. He doesn't sound so confident about it though.

There's a knock on the door, and Charles yells,

"Amber, Louis. It's time to go, we've got a concert to prepare for."

We hear him shuffle away. I rub my fingers together, the dust falling away like snow.

"I love you Amber. Don't forget that." Louis says, leaning down to kiss my forehead.

****

I curl up on the seat in the back of the van, my head in Louis' lap. He traces tiny circles around and around over my arm as we bounce our way down the Austria roads. Luke, Marlene, Cali and Charles joke up in the front of the van, while Louis and I stay quiet. Millions of different versions of how tonight is going to go play out through my mind, all at once.

Hundreds of girls line the street screaming as we drive by, calling out to us. I sit up, and Louis grabs my hand. He links our fingers together, squeezing. I turn to face him, and his eyes hold a glimpse of fright.