Chapter Twenty-Eight

I hug my knees up to my chest, staring at the wall. So many things run through my mind.

I'm hurting Louis again.

Again.

The car accident.

Seventh grade.

My grandma's funeral

.

Moving in with Marlene.

I'm hurting Louis.

Twelfth grade.

All the doctors asking questions.

All the days waking up in the hospital.

All the names.

Tenth grade.

I'm hurting Louis.

The fingers.

The fists.

The blades.

The empty stomach days.

The bloody wrist nights.

I'm hurting

myself.

I don't realize I'm crying until the tears are sliding down onto my knees and down my ankles. I gasp, wiping my eyes frantically. But nothing can stop the salty water from dropping. Like raindrops, they fall, rolling down hills and into valleys and they creep down steep mountains to their death in a splatter at the bottom.

There's a knock at the door and I jump.

"Amber? Is everything okay?" Louis asks hesitantly. I stay silent, knowing if I dare open my mouth I'll scream.

"Amber..." He jiggles the doorknob, and I clamp my hand over my mouth. No, don't scream. Not now.

"Amber unlock the door..." Louis presses, his voice getting louder. I hear more footsteps approaching and then Louis rambling on about something in a hushed voice. I bite into my palm to keep from making any noise. I shut my eyes tight, trying to block out the whole world.

I hear voices,

Screams,

Laughs,

Names being called,

I hear the smash of metal,

The squeal of tires,

I feel the hard ground,

The see the headlights flash,

The fake smiles,

The fakes compliments,

The fake and brittle hugs.

The voices get louder, and soon I'm pressing my hands against my ears to try to block the noise. But you can't block a punch coming from inside you.

The scream finally escapes me and I lean my head back against the wall, staring up at the bright lights through my blurry eyes.

Please God, please just kill me already.

I burry my head in my hands, sobbing harder and harder by the second.

"Amber please open the door! We just want to help." Now it's Niall talking through the door. I whine more, burying my head into my hands. I crawl over to the door, and press the lock. I crawl back quickly, and Niall burst through the door.

"Amber..." He mumbled, looking around the room for me. When he spots me hiding behind the corner of cabinet, he drops to the floor.

"Amber whats wrong?" He whispers, coming closer to me. I shake my head and squint my eyes closed.