Chapter 1

I jump out of my bed at the sound of my loud, annoying alarm.
BEEP BEEP BEEP.

It was time for me to get ready for school.

I changed into my navy jeans, gray tank top, old purple sweatshirt, and a pair of sneakers. I went over to the bathroom to brush my teeth. As I picked up my toothbrush to put toothpaste on it I noticed my little sister's toothbrush. It played a annoying one direction song for two minutes while she brushed her teeth. So annoying. I started setting my alarm ten minutes earlier than hers just so I could avoid that song. Then I picked up the hairbrush to smooth out my long messy hair, to return it to its regular strait style.

Then I walked downstairs to eat my breakfast.

"Good morning." My mother said.

"Morning." I replied as I pored milk into my bowl of Frosted Flakes.

I sat down at the table and started munching on my cereal. Stale. Of course, we don't go out much for food, the worlds supply is going down anyway, and everyone's to afraid to leave their safe, warm homes, afraid of catching the feared disease.

The disease. No one knows how it happened, it just came out, started small, multiplying, killing out the population one by one. It's contagious, so everyone always washes their hands, stays at home, wears a face mask, to avoid catching this disease.

But it gets everyone, it will even get me.

Soon.

"Make sure to put on your face mask before going to school." My mother commanded.
"Ok." I respond.

********************************

As I wanted out at the bus stop I thought about what the world has become. Everyone was rioting now, saying their kids shouldn't have to go to school, because then they would have to go into the outside world and will have a greater risk of getting the disease.
I remember watching the news. "These children are the next generation!" A man says. "Yeah! We're all gonna die off, we need them to survive!" Says a woman.

My thoughts race of as I realize the bus stop where I stand. I quickly jump on.

    I search the bus for my one and only friend at our school, Marie. I see her sitting at the back of the bus.  Something feels off though.

    When I get close to Marie I gasp. I can't help it it just slips out. She has huge purple circles under her eyes. Her eyes, bloodshot, you can hardly see the pretty blue color of her iris, which is replaced with a grayish color. They stare unusually at the back of the torn seat in front of her, un moving. Her skin is no longer tan but pale as a porcelain doll

    "Hello." She said, with no emotion in her voice.

    "Ummm... Hi." I responded. I didn't know what was up, but for extra insurance, I pulled up my face mask more. "Are you ok? I asked. "You seem a little... Sick.

    She didn't respond, just kept her lifeless eyes glued on the seat in front of us. I was eager to get off the bus, my friend was scaring me.

********************************

    When the bus finally stopped at the school, I was the first one to get off. "Hey!" "Ouch!", whatever they said, I ignored all of the students and pushed through all of them. I am not getting sick yet, I'm only 16!

    I noticed a lot of my classmates and people at my school with that same lifeless expression, pale skin, stumbling through the hallway. I avoided them all. Some of the teachers even where acting like that.

    They all have that disease. I thought. Well, I didn't have time to think of much else, because the school bell rang.