Everything is Different Now

Synopsis: A hunting accident leaves Jemma with little time to live.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A knock on my bedroom door causes me to jump. Dad pokes his head in. "Can I come in?" he asks.

"Yeah, sure," I say, lowering the screen of my laptop.

"I have a pretty big favor to ask of you." He hesitates before continuing. "It seems Sam has a pretty bad case of the flu, and I need you to come with me on a hunt. But only if you're comfortable and ready. It's just a couple demons."

"I can do it," I assure him.

"Are you sure?"

"100% sure." It's more like 75% sure, but whatever. Dad needs my help.

"Okay. Oh, we'll be in Blue Rapids, so we can stop by and see Wyatt."

A smile spreads across my face. "I knew that would make you happy," he says. "We're leaving as soon as you're ready."

Three hours later

I follow Dad up the steps of a large, light yellow house. He thinks this is where the demons are residing. Gun in hand, Dad opens the front door slowly and quietly, then heads right, toward the living room. I glance up the stairs, then follow him; there's no one in the living room. Same for the kitchen, dining room, and upstairs. "Maybe they're not here," I say.

"No, they're here somewhere. I'm sure of it."

As if on cue, a tall, lanky man with black eyes appears across the room, a wicked smile on his face. Before Dad or I can react, he pulls out a gun and fires it. Dad falls over, clutching his hand to his heart as scarlet blood rushes down his jacket. "No!" I scream, pulling out my angel blade and lunging for the demon. He ducks, and I ram the blade into his back. Panting, I turn and collapse beside Dad, who is gasping for air. "It's okay, Dad; you're going to be okay." He looks at me, unable to say anything. I remove his hand from his heart and press my own hands on it, trying to slow the bleeding. Dad groans in pain. "I'm sorry. I know it hurts."

"J-J-Jem--"

"Don't try to say anything, okay?" I move his upper body into my lap, elevating the bullet wound. My eyes burn as I fight back tears. "Help!" I call out, hoping one of the neighbors hears me. "We need help!" Nothing.

Dad's breathing starts to slow as his body stops jerking. "No, no, no, Dad, stay awake. You have to stay awake." Tears spill down my cheeks as I brush back his hair. "You're going to be okay, I promise."

"S-so w-will you," Dad manages to say. His eyes become fixed to the ceiling, and his chest stops rising and falling.

"Dad?" I feel for a pulse that isn't there. "Daddy?" He's dead. He's dead, and it's my fault. My hands tremble as I close his eyelids. "No, no, no! This is all my fault," I sob. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, Dad."

I sit there on the floor, crying and holding his dead body. I have to leave; the owner of the house could come back at any time. I wipe away the tears that are still coming from my eyes and set a determined look on my face.

I know what I have to do.

~

I brush the dirt back into place in the center of the crossroad. "Well, well, well, if it isn't Squirrel Jr. Haven't seen you in awhile." I whirl around at Crowley's voice, wiping tears from my cheeks.

"I'd like to make a deal," I say simply.

"A deal? Where's Dean--?"

"He's dead. What is any other reason why I would be making a deal, other than my father is dead?"