4

CHAPTER FOUR; SOPHIA
Ember was never really a grouchy girl when she woke up, but today the young girl just wasn't feeling it. Ember looks out her window when she hears a motorcycle approaching.

"More people." Ember sighs.

Ember notices how messy she looks and decides to clean herself up, quickly getting dressed after.

The young girl runs down to where Carl was staying, she smiles at Rick and Lori.

"Good morning." Ember says.

"Good morning Ember." Ember runs over to her dad and gives him a quick hug before he starts talking to Rick and Lori.

"Fevers gone down." Hershel says, when Carl starts to shift Lori and Rick quickly shuffle by the young boy.

"Baby?" Lori says.

Ember felt joy when Carl opened his beautiful blue eyes, it was the best thing the girl's witnessed in a while.

"Carl?"

"Sophia? Is she okay?"Carl asks out of the blue. Ember didn't really know who this Sophia was, but she's guessing it was the girl they were trying to find.

"Fine." Rick says, Ember knew he was just saying that not to worry his son, "she's fine."

"Rest. We'll be right here, okay?" Lori says to her son.

"Okay." Carl says, closing his eyes.

Everything went quiet before Rick's friend T-Dog came in.

"They're here." He says to Rick, Ember was guessing he was talking about the motorcycle she saw, along with the two other cars falling behind.

Ember just wanted to know how many people were in Rick's group.

Everyone walks outside of the house, it was now just a group of people standing outside of Hershel Greene's home.

"How is he?" Dale asks.

"He'll pull through, thanks to Hershel and his people."

"And Shane" Rick adds, "we'd have lost Carl if not for him."

"Thank god." Carol says hugging Lori. "We were so worried."

"How'd it happen?" Dale asks.

"Hunting accident. That's all -- just a stupid accident." Rick says.
➸ 

"Blessed be God, father of our lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace."

"Shane, will you speak for Otis?" Ember asks.

"I'm not good at it. I'm sorry." Ember rolls her eyes at his lie, he wasn't fooling her.

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments. Please." Patricia begs, "I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning."

"Okay."

Ember waits for the lies to come right out of his mouth.

"We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We  were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up."

Ember immediately blocks Shane's voice out not wanting to hear the rest, Shane killed Otis and she knows it.
➸ 

Ember decided she'd get Carl something to drink, just in case he woke up and was thirsty. She puts the drink on the side table and is on her way out.

"Hi." Ember jumps

"Hey." Ember smiles at Carl.

" Ember smiles at Carl

"Ember, right?." Carl asks.

"Yeah, your Carl." Ember laughs.

"Yup."

"Well I should get going, sorry for bothering you." Ember says.

"No, stay. Please?" Carl begs.

Ember had no idea why Carl wanted to talk to a complete stranger, but she agreed.

"Ok."

➸ 

After minutes of talking to Carl and Ember talking to each other and learning a lot about each other.

Ember could finally say she had a friend that wasn't her family.