25

"We're not leaving."

"We can't stay here." Hershel raises his voice.

"What if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds." Maggie points out.

"We can't even go outside." Beth says.

"Not in the daylight." Carol adds.

"Rick says we're not running. We're not running." Glenn barks.

"No, better to live like rats." Merle Dixon says, everyone rolls their eyes at his voice.

"You got a better idea?" Rick challenges.

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day." Merle starts. "But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now."

"We ain't scared of that prick."

"Y'all should be." Ember looks at Merle, "That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell."

   ➶

"See anyone?" Ember questions Carl, the two were taking watch.

"Something weird out there." He whispers back.

"Andrea." Maggie whispers to the two kids. "Get your dad and the others."

Carl runs back inside while Maggie and Ember stay put. A couple of seconds later Rick and the others come storming out of the prison.

"Are you alone?" Rick yells.

"Open the gate." Andrea ignores the question.

"Are you alone!?" Rick repeats.

"Rick!"

Rick tosses the keys to Daryl, Daryl opens the gate and as soon as Andrea gets in she gets pushed. "Hands up! Turn around! Turn around now!" Rick orders.

"Welcome back. Get up." Rick pulls Andrea up, as everyone starts walking back inside the prison.

Carol and Andrea hug as soon as they make eye contact. "After you saved me, we thought you were dead." The older woman whispers

"Hershel, my god." Andrea whimpers. "I can't believe this. Where's Shane?" Andrea looks around as everyone ignores eye contact with her. "And Lori?"

"She had a girl. Lori didn't survive." Hershel answers.

"Nether did T-Dog." Maggie adds.

"I'm so sorry." Andrea's eyes move around the room, she frowns when she looks at Carl standing next to Ember. "Carl."

Andrea doesn't continue when Carl stares back at her coldly, she then looks at Ember about to say something but doesn't when Carl pushes the young girl protectively behind him.

    ➶

"I'm going on a run." Ember listens to Rick, Daryl, and her father's conversation as she sits next to her older sister who was engaged in Beth's singing.

"I'll head out tomorrow."

Rick nods, "No, you stay here. Keep an eye on your brother. I'm glad you're back, really, but if he causes a problem, it's on you."

"I got him."

"I'll take Michonne." Rick looks at Ember, he notices the young girl looking around for Carl.

"You sure that's a good idea?" Daryl asks.

"I'll find out. And Carl, Ember too." Rick Grines looks towards Hershel, the older man nods. "They're ready."

Ember steps outside, frowning when she sees Carl.

"Carl." The brunette calls out for the boy, "Come inside, yeah?"

"No. I'm staying out here, someone has to make sure it's safe."

"Fine." Ember sighs. "I'll stay out here."

Carl glares at Ember, "Go inside, Ember."

"No, I'm staying out here with you."

   ➶

I apologize for the spam 😂😂. Just trying to catch up since this story only has a few more chapters left.