Chapter Twenty-Three

23. As We Knew It

Kate Rodriguez

I couldn't believe that Hakeem would something so stupid. I know he wants to protect me but beating up Alex was seriously messed up.

After I went to get some supplies to help Alex, I headed back to his apartment making sure he didn't do anything. I banged on the door making sure that he didn't do anything. A few seconds later, Alex opened the door.

"I thought I told you to leave." Alex said.

"I did. But now I'm back cause you need help." I said walking in.

"Kate I don't want you here." Alex said.

I stopped and turned around facing Alex's beat up face. "You think that's the first time I heard someone tell me that they don't want anywhere?"

"Look..."

"No." I interrupted.

"What?" Alex questioned.

"I know what you are going to say and no I'm not leaving. Until you feel better I'm not going anywhere." I said.

I took the stuff out of the bags and I heard Alex coming towards me. I turned around and he just looked down on me. He sat down in the chair and I began cleaning his face. It was really awkward but eventually the tension lifted and everything was ok. I finished witb the blood and patched up the cuts and bruises.

"There all done." I said.

Alex got up and went to the mirror. "Wow, this ain't half bad."

I smiled. "Well thanks."

"Kate, it was my fault." Alex said.

"What are you talking about? What was your fault?" I questioned.

"When Keem got locked up, he told me to look after you. He told me to make sure that you were ok. But I took advantage." Alex explained.

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"I was only witn you because you were vulnerable and I wanted to know what it was like." Alex said.

"What was what like?" I questioned.

"To be deeply loved and cared by someone." Alex admitted.

I was speechless and had nothing else to say. I continued to clean up the bandages and just said nothing else. I didn't understand why Alex was telling me this because I don't think it makes a difference now.

"Say something please." Alex demanded.

"There is nothing to say. First you tell me that you were with me cause of sex and now you tell me that tou wanted to be loved by someone. Stephanie and Chyna were right about you." I said.

"So you're leaving?" Alex questioned.

"Sadly no. I told you that I wasn't leaving until you were better and that's what I'm doing." I said taking the trash out.

Chyna Jones

It was dark when I got home, but all I knew was that I was tired. I went into my kitchen and dragged me a bottle of water drinking it down. I was thinking about the offer that I turned down from Michael, hoping that I wasn't making the worst mistake. My career was on the line and there was no way that I was going to get a new job.

Suddenly, I heard a noise that made me jump. I put my bottle on the counter and observed the room. But all I saw was darkness.

"Hello." I called out.