Chapter XXXI

XXXI

Bad Idea

I GOT OVER MY attraction phase towards Adrian's younger sister. Fine, I had an attraction. A crush, but it faded when I met those pretty girls.

I was back to my usual self. Hindi na rin ako nakarinig ng tungkol sa kanya. Adrian never really talked much about his sister. Well, of course he couldn't. If we ever talked about girls, it'd be about our escapades.

Adrian and I went to the same college. First year was chill. Iba ang course na kinuha namin. He took up engineering, and I took up business management.

I didn't like my course, but I had to take it because my father relied on me to take over the business in the future.

I wanted to be an astronaut. Pero alam kong hanggang pangarap lang ako. I'd be one, after I get rich. Kung magkaka-pera ako, I could reach my dreams.

My parents gave me a condominium near my school. I began to live independently. I didn't mind. Dad told me that this was a challenge, and that I should learn how to be responsible.

College gave me freedom, and I liked it. Although I did miss living in our house, especially Ellise. She had just turned ten last month, and she was starting to become blooming.

Damn, I didn't know what to do if she became a teen. Baka mas lalo pa siyang gumanda at maraming lalakeng maghahabol sa kanya.

I heard my phone ring. The call was from Dad. He rarely called, unless it's something urgent. Sinagot ko ang tawag.

"Dad, why did you call?"

"Pumunta ka sa bahay," he said.

The way he said it told me not to ask him the reason. I just had to go.

When I got to our house, bumungad sa'kin ang mangiyak-ngiyak na si Ellise. Dad was sitting on the table with a grim expression on his face.

My overprotective brother instinct instantly kicked in. I went to my sister's side and hugged her. "What happened, Ellise?" I asked.

"S-Si . . ." Before she could continue, she just cried. "Mom."

Fear suddenly gripped me. What happened to Mom? Oh God, please tell me that she's—

"Your Mom left," Dad supplied. "She suddenly left us."

Ellise didn't stop crying. She was obviously hurt by everything that was happening. Her fragile heart couldn't take it.

It hurt me too, but I didn't cry. I was strong. I had to be strong for my sister.

The same goes for Dad. He was trying to be strong for us.

I felt betrayed by what Mom did. Even if Dad wasn't saying anything, I knew that he was hurt. Because even though Dad rarely showed affection towards our Mom, I knew that he loved her deeply.

***

"Let's go to the bar later and attend Jonas' party later. I heard he hired some hot strippers there," said Adrian.

I knew that he was trying to cheer me up. I told him about what happened with my family, but the explanation wasn't long. I just told him one word: "Mom left us."

He understood. Iba kaming mga lalake. We believed that actions speak louder than words. Adrian had been trying best to console me with everything that was happening.