Chapter XXIX

XXIX

It's Over

THE WEEK AFTER RIA LEFT, bumalik na naman ako sa trabaho. I have fully recovered from my shot wounds. Even though I've told her that I was okay with her leaving, I don't really mean it. Parang kinuha siya ulit sa'kin.

It feels like I've been given happiness by God in an instant, but the happiness is immediately taken away as fast as it came.

I've stayed in contact with her. Kahit na 16 hours ahead ako sa kanya, sinusubukan namin mag video call. Both of us try to adjust. Sometimes she wakes up early, and I stay up late to talk. Or vice-versa.

Tonight, we're doing the latter. Even though I'm exhausted from work, I'm steeling myself not to pass out.

I press the video-call button, and she answers it five seconds later. Nag-popup ang itsura niya. Umaga na sa kanila.

"Good morning," I greet.

"Good evening," she greets back.

"I miss you," bungad ko.

"I miss you, too." She smiles sadly. "Kumusta ka na? Mukha kang haggard."

"Work. Meetings." I yawn.

"Matulog ka nalang muna," sabi niya. She's obviously worried. "Usap nalang tayo mamaya."

"I don't want to." Umiling ako. My day isn't complete without us talking.

"Wag na matigas ulo, Benedict," suway niya. "Sleep," she insists.

We argue, but I'm too tired, so I end up doing what she wants me to do.

The next morning, I go to work, distracted. I have to do a proposal for our possible German investors.

"Sir, here's your coffee," sabi ng bago kong sekretarya. She puts the cup of coffee on my desk. Afterwards, she leaves.

I take a sip of the coffee and frown. It's black just how I like it, but it's not the same as Ria's. I draw out a deep breath. Get a grip, Elliot! I miss her so much. It feels like I'm going to get sick because of it.

Lovesick.

Fūck, it sounds very corny. If my cousin Nick hears my thoughts, he'll probably tease me incessantly about it. That bastard.

***

Halos isang linggo kaming hindi nagkausap ni Ria. Busy siya sa kanyang pag-aaral, at ako naman ay abala sa negosyo. Whenever I log in to Skype, she's always offline. And during the time she's online, I'm asleep.

She'll just leave a short message, and then that's it.

One morning, I've tried calling her, but she's obviously tired so I have to hang up.

At first, I'm okay with it. But then weeks turn into months. We hardly talk.

I understand her reasons. She understands my reasons. We're both busy with our lives. I have work, and she has her studies.

It seems like she is close to reaching her dreams. I'm happy for her, but sad at the same time. Sad because our conversations and calls have lessened.

Pero ayokong maging makasarili. I don't want to demand for her full attention, and it seems that she's doing the same for me.

I really thought it's easy for long distance relationships to work, but it seems like otherwise.

***