Chapter XXVIII

(A/N: Dedicated to my friend, who's just started this story today. Hello, xheartneelia!)

XXVIII

A Blessing and A Curse

I LOOKED AT her in confusion as she sobbed. Hindi ko naiintidihan kung bakit siya umiiyak, at bakit niya sinabi 'yon. We were happy this week, and now she's suddenly like this? Suddenly demanding me to let her go. I really had no idea why this is happening to her.

"Why are you saying this to me?"

She looked at me through her tears. "S-Sorry talaga," naiiyak niyang sambit.

I stood up to get some water. Pagkabalik ko, binigay ko sa kanyang ang isang baso na may naglalaman na tubig. Tinanggap niya iyon at ininom, pagkatapos ay tumahan na siya. I handed her a tissue, and she wiped her tears with it.

When I sensed that she'd finally calmed down, I called her, "Ria."

She looked at me, and I could see that she was trying to make her face return to its normal state. Her nose was still red, and her eyes were swollen from crying. "Nanaginip lang ako ng masama," sabi niya. Then she smiled, trying to reassure me that she was okay. "Okay lang ako. Wag mo masyadong isipin yung sinabi ko."

I followed what she said. Hindi ko nalang inisip ang sinabi niya kanina. When we lay down in bed again, I pulled her closer to me, hugging her to my chest.

I couldn't sleep again though. What she said kept repeating in my head. I couldn't forget how real it sounded—her plead of me letting her go.

No way, hindi kita papakawalan, Ria. Never again.

That was what I thought at that time. I was determined not to let her go. I didn't know that the person I held onto tightly would be the one who'd ask me to let go. Because no matter how determined I was to keep her, I didn't want to choke her because I love her.

***

When we got back from our trip, we were both tan. Most of the time, nagpabilad kasi kami sa araw 'non. Despite the sunburns we got, it was worth it.

Every moment was worth it.

Even though the trip was over, every memories still lingered in my mind. Presko pa rin lahat sa'kin. The euphoria remained stuck in my system.

Hindi ko parin kailangan magtrabaho, because my cousin was taking over in my stead. Same goes for Ria. We were both stress-free up until now.

"I-I have to go home," said Ria suddenly.

"Hatid na kita."

Umiling siya. "I-I mean . . . kay Mama."

The reality suddenly hit me. I hadn't settled matters with her mother yet. Strangely, after that incident, hindi pumunta ang Mama niya para pagalitan o sisihin na naman ako sa nangyari. It was weird that Ria didn't get any calls or texts from her mother. I'd been with her for almost two weeks, and she didn't mention anything about her mother wanting her to go home.

Something was up.

"H-How is she?" I asked hesitantly.

"Okay lang naman siya," sagot niya.

"Talaga?"

Tumango siya. She was about to leave, but before she could, I grabbed her wrist. I didn't know why I did that. For unknown reason, fear gripped me. Pakiramdam ko pag aalis siya, hindi na siya babalik kahit kailan.