Chapter XLIX

XLIX

Marry Me

I HAD TO UNDERGO counseling to recuperate from what happened. There was also a time I'd tried to kill myself. I'd gotten nightmares from the events that day. But the counseling, fortunately, worked and I managed to overcome everything.

It took me six months to recover, and a year to get back on my feet. Dad and his new wife, Mommy Tony, knew about what happened, and they were there for me. Ellise was too young, but I knew that she understood some gist of what'd happened.

Even though I'd gotten over the trauma, I hadn't gotten over her. Despite how painful it was to let her go, I had to, because it was for the best. One thing I learned from that tragedy is that, no matter how much you love a person, you could never keep them. No matter how much you love them, that isn't enough to be with them.

I was too broken. I felt unworthy because I failed. I failed to protect Ria and Adrian.

I couldn't see her anymore. Seeing her would be painful. It would bring back all the memories—the good ones and the bad ones. As much as I wanted to take away all the bad memories, I just couldn't. That'd mean taking away the good ones as well.

I went to U.S to continue studying. Clarisse was keeping an eye on Ria for me. I'd heard that she was already awake, and that, she was going to enroll in the same university to continue her studies. Wala na daw siyang maalala sa nakaraan, pero dahan-dahan daw siyang nagpapa-cognitive therapy.

I kept receiving news about Ria through Clarisse.

Even if we weren't together anymore, I'd still love her from afar. I'd promised Adrian to take care of her and protect her. Even if I wasn't by her side, knowing that she was happy and okay is enough.

I'd asked Dad a favor. Surprisingly, he didn't ask me why I wanted to build my own house. He just let me.

I looked at the sketch she'd drawn of her dream house. Even if she wasn't with me, I still wanted to build it for her.

Building her dream house became possible because of Dad. But of course, I knew it wasn't for free. I offered to take over his company and make it grow in exchange for it.

Dad began to train me in the airline company. I worked hard. It was also a good thing because it served as my distraction. During those times I became busy, I didn't think much about Ria.

But when I was done with everything—paperwork and all, my longing for her would come rushing back to me.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss her.

I do. I really do.

I ached for her smile. I ached for her kiss. I ached for her hug. I ached for her.

I was in one of those depressive moods. Nandoon na ako sa punto na mas gusto ko nalang mamatay. I got over being suicidal, but when I thought of the what-ifs with her, I felt like dying.

We were in one of our family parties. Nandoon lahat ng mga relatives at kaibigan ng pamilya ko.

So I told Nick about my problems. Out of all my cousins, Nick was the one I was closest with. Kami lang kasi ang magka-edad. Si Kuya Brad at matanda ng apat na taon sa'min, at si Rick naman ay halos kasing-edad lang ni Ellise.