Chapter XXXVI

XXXVI

Revenge

AFTER THAT ALMOST-KISS incident, things went back to normal. Ria pretended as if it never happened. She was back to her usual self. She still treated me like her friend. Malaki ang pagsisisi ko na hingi ko siya hinalikan noong araw na 'yon.

Would things have been different if I acted on my feelings?

"OMG! Nakpag-pa-picture ka sa crush mong si Oscar?" tanong ng isang kaklase namin kay Ria.

Tumango si Ria. "Kanina. Ang bait niya nga eh." Bumungisngis siya. "Nahihiya ako sa una, pero kinausap niya ako na para bang matagal na kaming magkaibigan."

"Ang swerte mo!" kinikilig na sabi ng kaibigan niya.

Nagpanting ang tenga ko sa narinig. She has a crush on a guy named Oscar? Nakaka-badtrip. Puta.

Pabagsak kong nilagay ang libro sa armchair. Nakuha ko ang tensyon nila. Tumahimik ang kaibigan ni Ria at namumulang tumingin sa akin. Si Ria naman ay tinaasan lang ako ng kilay. "Anong problema mo?" she asked.

"Ang ingay niyo kasi," I said irately. "You have no considerations for the others around you."

"Ano bang pakialam mo? Wala namang nagagalit, ah. Ikaw lang. Ang OA mo!" she exclaimed.

I was so pissed that I skipped classes. Nag-walkout ako. It was the first time she and I fought for real.

The thought of her having a crush on another guy hurt me.

We didn't make up that day. It took a week for me to lower my pride. Ako ang nagpakumbaba. I approached her when our literature class ended.

"Let's talk," I said.

"Okay na tayo. Maliit na bagay, pinapalaki pa natin," she said.

"I want us to talk properly."

"Wag na!" She shook her head. "I don't want to be alone with you."

My brows furrowed. "Bakit?"

"Ayoko lang talaga. Wag na maraming tanong."

Matigas ang ulo niya. She tried to leave, but I held her wrist.

"Bitiwan mo ako, Elliot."

"I'm not letting you go," I told her seriously. I let her go and took a step forward, and then she took a step back. It went on until her back hit the wall. I leaned my arm on the wall, cornering her. She looked startled.

"A-Ano ba . . ." Uminit ang pisngi niya. She tried to avoid my gaze, but I gently held her chin to force her to look up and look me in the eye.

When our gazes met, I saw that her eyes were teary.

"Why are you crying?" I asked. My brows furrowed.

"Brokenhearted kasi ako."

"Brokenhearted by who?"

"Ikaw," she said. "Ni-reject mo ako. Sinubukan kitang halikan pero umiwas ka."

"B-Ba't mo sinasabi 'to sa'kin?"

"Akala ko ba matalino ka," sabi niya. "Gusto kita!" she exclaimed, and what she said echoed in the room. I stood frozen in shock. Was I dreaming? "Sagutin mo naman ako. Wag kang tumunganga diyan," naiiyak niyang sabi. "I like you in English!"

I pinched myself, trying to see if I was dreaming. I was still awake, so yeah, this was real. She felt the same way. "I heard you." I rubbed at my temples. I sighed. "I'm really sorry—"