Chapter 10

Star and Marco

Star and Marco had just arrived home from Quest Buy. Star gently tapped her wand repeatedly against her magic mirror.

"..And I don't know, Marco," Star continued, "I feel like something's..missing."
"Star, are you so sure? I think you may need to rest a bit," Marco muttered, worried,"Besides, maybe it'd just one of your mood swings. Like, Mewberty kind of mood swings."

"Marco, YOU look hurried and worried. Is there something you're hiding from me?"
"Uhm..Nothing!", Marco said, a little TOO loud."Uh.. Weren't we supposed to be checking my parents' room? Let's--let's go! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha..."
"Uh, Marco? You were laughing to yourself for too long."
"U-uh I know. Let's g-go now, shall we?"

Star nodded assuringly and marched out of her room.

"Great," Marco muttered."Look what I've done now. Great job, Diaz."

Star took a deep breath."Okay, Diaz, we're here. Now woman up, and open that door!"
Marco shook his head, then twisted the door know carefully."I should not have done this..."
The floorboards creaked with every step they took. The room smelled like freshly cooked burritos, which made Star's stomach growl. Marco carefully reached for the light switch, but Star immediately stepped forward, rolled her eyes at Marco and switched the light on.

"Marco," Star reminded, "Your parents won't be here until 10! Loosen up a bit."
"Uh," Marco said, "I'm just playing it safe! There might be an alarm here or something. Remember, I'm not called The Safe Kid in school for nothing! And I HATE being called that."
"Well, Safe Kid," Star gestured politely and bowed, "Go. What are your parents hiding?"

Marco looked around, and studied the room carefully. The shelves were lined with picture frames, but one in particular caught his eye. It was a picture of two newborn babies. One looked like him, but the other one he didn't recognize.

He muttered to himself, "Maybe it's just my mom and her sister. Pretty sure that one's a girl."
"Hmm?", Star said, turning around, "What was that, Marco?"
"Nothing!", Marco quickly replied."Nothing at all.."

Star walked to Marco and peeped at the picture frame from behind him.

"Aww, Marco!", Star squealed, "You looked so cute when you were a baby! Look at that beauty mark over there?"
'Yep,' Marco thought, 'That's me alright. But who's--'

Marco's train of thought was interrupted by Star's voice."But who's that?", Star asked, "I've never seen her before."
"Do you think this could be my dad?", Marco asked hopefully.
"Nope," Star countered, "But Marco? I think.. I think you have a twin."