First Impressions

I'm running. Running. I can't stop. Someone is chasing me. Swiftly, I swerve round the corner to a dead end. Shit. Where am I going to run now? I study my surroundings but all that is in sight is the neverending wall.

"There is no where to hide. You can't run forever." The mysterious man tells me in a deep voice.

Cunningly, he corners me and I'm trapped. No way of escape. Slowly he pulls out a knife and holds it against my neck.

I can feel the cold metal on my sweaty skin piercing my delicate neck. Suddenly I feel the excruciating pain of the stab and let out a huge scream.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!" I yelled waking up from the terrible nightmare that had just occured.

In a flash, a sea of people flood into my room half asleep. Clearly annoyed I woke them from their sleep. I notice Mark at the door who is the manager of the home.

"What's the matter?" He look concerned.

"I'm so sorry. It was just a nightmare." Soon I realised I was shaking uncontrollably and a tsuami tide appeared in my eyes.

"OK, everyone back to sleep." Mark told the rest of the sleepy care kids who stared at me frustrated.

I exhaled a huge yawn and peered at the alarm clock that I had just noticed. 5:53am.

By now everyone had left my room then I noticed my door open again. To my relief it was Ed. There was something about him that made me feel safe when he was around.

"Are you OK Jessica?" He asked genuinly concerned.

"Yeah I think so. Just a stupid nightmare. I get them all the time." I assured him.

"Oh right. Well you definately succeeded in pissing everyone off. That was a hell of a scream. Record breaking even." He shot me a light grin. "What happened?" He asked clearly intrigued.

"Oh just normal nightmare stuff. Zombies, ghosts, that kind of shit." I lied. Truth be told I was too scared to tell him about my dream. I didn't want to uncover the horrors of it.

"I see... well they're only dreams, there is nothing to be frightened of." He comforted.

"Yeah I guess so. I'm so sorry for waking you up." I apologised.

"Don't apologise, I'm not too bothered. Plus I did kind of scare the shit out of you before. I guess we are even." he shot me a cheeky wink that made my heart melt.

"I know I wont get back to sleep now and I'm guessing you wont either. Shall we get some breakfast?" he offered.

"I can never say no to food."

"Me neither."

We made our way downstairs making light conversation. Oblivious to where I was going, Ed guided me to the kitchen.

"So what deliciousness are you going to make for me?" I ask Ed.

"I can make many things including toast and...well just toast." Ed commented.

"Well... you've given me so many options to choose from. Its hard to make a decision. I think I'm gonna go with toast."

"Good choice." Ed got out the bread and incerted them into the toaster. "There is some cold coffee too if you want it."

"Yes, I love cold coffee in the morning."

"Me too."

"Although I prefer two lumps of sugar and tea. But cold coffee is good."

We sat down at the table waiting for our toast to pop up.

"So how old are you Jess?" Ed asked. No one ever called me Jess. I kind of liked it.

"I'm 15, gonna turn 16 in 5 months." Ed got his fingers out and counted the months up to my birthday.

"So March? I turn 16 in February. Its weird how close our birthdays are." he commented whilst fiddling with his messy ginger hair.

"Yeah it is. So I'm guessing you go to Little Burn High School?" I guessed.

"I do. How did you know that?" He sounded impressed.

"Because I have to move to that school now because my old school is too far." I stated.

"Oh I see. There was me thinking you were phycic. Why did you get dumped here then?" Damn, I was dreading this question. I had gone 10 whole minutes without thinking about my mum now all my thoughts flooded back. I tried to be strong and not cry. I couldnt talk about it just yet.

"BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...!" The smoke alarm yelled out.

"Shit the toast!" Fast as a fox Ed paced towards the toaster and switched the plug off. Then he ran towards the alarm and jabbed the button and the alarm went silent.

Once again, the whole house came racing down to see what had happened.

"Sorry Mark. It was just the toast." Ed gave an innocent grin.

"Nice one Ed." One of the kids commented sarcastically. "First her," he pointed to me. "and now you. I'm never going to get to sleep now." the 5 year old boy moaned.

"I'm sorry mate." Ed told him whilst picking him up. Gosh he was so good with kids.

"Well seen as we are all awake, how about I make everyone a proper brekkie hey?" Mark cheerily motivated.

"Yeah!" The young boy in Ed's arms smiled.

All the kids pushed passed me giving me dirty looks while heading to the table.

"Watch out newbie." A girl threatened.

I had been here less than a day and I was already hated.