19. Saturday Continued

~ Kyle

I found Colton leaning up against my car, his foot rocking his soccer ball back and forth slowly. There were parents and kids all around the parking lot, and I really didn't want to cause a scene, so I just calmly unlocked the car and motioned for Colton to get in.

He looked nervous.

He should be.

Once we were both inside, I locked the doors again and started the car. I didn't say anything on the way home, just letting him squirm for when I finally snapped at him. If I snapped at him.

What was I going to say to him? I could tell him the truth, and make him promise to not say a word to anyone. The only problem with that is the fact that Colton can't keep his mouth shut about anything. Or I could deny it. But at this point, I'm pretty sure we're past the denial period. Colton wasn't dumb in the slightest. I should have known he would figure it out eventually. I was just too hopeful.

When we pulled into the driveway, Colton was immediately out of the car and running inside. I turned off the ignition and slowly followed. I was not looking forward to this conversation.

Colton was in the kitchen, making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when I walked in. I stood across the table from him and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Is it true?" Colton asked quietly.

I still didn't exactly know how he would react. Would he follow the thinking of our parents?

He took my silence as a yes and jumped to his feet. "Knew it! Are you going out with Josh? Is that why he texted you that this morning? I want to meet him. Make sure he's good enough for you."

"You can't tell anyone, okay? I know you and your secret keeping skills. This is never mentioned again."

"Got it. No telling anyone that you're totally gay. Okay." He sat back down and took a bite of his sandwich.

I sat down next to him, grabbing two slices of bread and a knife. That sandwich smelt good and I was hungry.

"You especially can't tell Mom or Dad."

"What are you boys not telling us?"

I jumped, practically falling out of my seat. I didn't even hear them come in. And what happened to them coming home after dinner tonight?

"Kyle's keeping a secret," Colton blurted out.

I glared at him before turning to look at my parents. Dad was wearing his nice suit and Mom had on a long green dress. Where did they go where they had to dress this nice?

"Colton won his soccer game," I said, drastically changing the subject.

"And you didn't want to tell us that?" Dad asked.

"Well, I mentioned that maybe you not being there was good luck for them," I lied, not really well, but it was the best I could come up with under this pressure. "Although I'm sure it was just Colton's amazing goalie-ing, which is why I said not to mention anything. Right, Colton?"

I looked at him just as he shoved half of his sandwich in his mouth, nodding quickly. He wouldn't be able to keep this up too much longer, but thankfully, they bought it, for now.

"Congrats, hun!" Mom said, kissing the top of his head. "I'm sorry we missed it. But apparently that was why you won." She gave me a look. She definitely didn't buy it, but she wasn't questioning, yet.