30. Worth

~ Josh

After Kyle had cried himself to sleep (again), we left him on the couch, not wanting to disturb him. Instead, all three of us found ourselves sitting around the table in the kitchen.

"Is it alright if I call my mom?" I asked. I wanted to fill Mama in and also get her advice on how to help Kyle, considering she had the same problem with her parents.

"Of course," Jackson said.

"Put her on speaker," Leo added.

I nodded my head as I dialed her number. She answered after two rings. "Hi, sweetheart. What's up?"

"Hi, Mama. You're on speaker. Jackson and Leo are here too."

Both of them said "Hi" at the same time.

"Hi, boys. How are you all doing? Is Kyle not there?"

"He's actually kinda the reason I called. So, you know how your parents didn't accept you when you came out?" That probably wasn't the best way to start this, of course she remembers.

"Yes... Josh, what is this about?"

"Well, Kyle's parents just kicked him out for being gay. I was hoping you could help us out a little?"

"Oh, the poor boy. Please let him know that our door is always open for him, okay? Especially with your semester almost over. That's really all you can do right now. Make sure he feels loved by you guys. It's going to hurt, that much is inevitable, but having you by his side will help ease the pain. Where is he now?"

"He just cried himself to sleep on the couch," Leo spoke up.

"Oh, I feel for him, really I do. Let me know if you need anything else. Unfortunately, I have to go. I need to pick Elliot up from practice because your mother is stuck at work late. I'm sorry. I love you Josh. Bye boys!"

All three of us echoed our goodbyes before she hung up, probably late, judging by the time. When did it get to be five o'clock already?

None of really said anything yet when we heard movement coming from the other room. Kyle was up.

We saw him head to the door, his jacket on. His phone rang and he quickly glanced at the screen before ignoring it.

"Dude, you're not going to get that?" Leo asked.

Kyle looked over at us and shook his head. "It's my brother. I don't want to talk to him."

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I just need to get out of here. I need to be alone for bit."

"Okay," Jackson said hesitantly. "But you might want to talk to your brother. He's probably only trying to apologize. I'm sure he didn't mean to."

"Yeah," Kyle sighed. "I just don't know if I want to hear it right now."

I nodded as he reached for the door handle. "Hey, just know that you're not alone, Kyle," I said. He gave me a small nod before walking out.

~ Kyle

I wished Colton would stop trying to call me. Doesn't he understand that this is all his fault? He was probably only calling to gloat over the fact that he's officially the favorite son, although I'm pretty sure he already had that title. Cause Colton could do no wrong.

But maybe Jackson was right, and he was just trying to apologize. He's just a kid who can't keep his mouth shut.

A text came through: