24. Change of Heart

~ Leo

This whole cheating thing with Jackson must be bringing up old memories of Brandon for Josh. I felt bad that he had to go through that, but at least he knew what I was feeling. Maybe. I didn't even know what I was feeling. "How did you feel, when you caught Brandon cheating?" I asked him, although immediately felt bad. Josh didn't look like he wanted to talk about him. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

Josh shook his head. "No, it's fine. It was definitely heartbreaking. But I think it hurt more because he said he had never loved me, even though he told me he did. I fell for his tricks. I don't think Jackson is lying to you. I think he wholeheartedly loves you, Leo."

When Josh said that, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders, but it didn't leave completely. If he really did love me as much as he said, and Kyle and Josh say he does, then why cheat? Was he actually telling the truth about wanting nothing to do with her?

Finally, I came to a decision. "I think I want to talk to him again. Let him explain it one more time. I'm willing to listen."

"Do you want me to call him?" Kyle asked. "I can tell him to come back now."

I nodded. "Yeah. I need a few more minutes before I figure out what I'm actually going to say to him." I cracked a smile, even though I was really nervous about it.

Kyle got up and left the room, probably to find his phone. Josh and I sat in silence for a moment, leaving each other to our thoughts before he spoke up.

"Are you sure you're okay doing this?"

"Yeah. I know you and Kyle trust him. I should too. I mean, I'm in love with Jackson. I don't want this, especially if he's telling the truth, to come between us. Between all of us."

~ Jackson

As soon as I was kicked out of the room, I went upstairs to confront Marisa. She only lived one floor up, which was both a bad and good thing. Currently, it was good: I didn't have to go outside in the pouring rain to get to her.

I banged on the door, pretty much the same way she had banged on mine earlier. Sarah, Marisa's roommate, opened the door a few seconds later.

"You forget something?" she asked with an attitude. I don't think she has ever liked me much, and I had no idea why. I didn't mind, it's not like I cared for her either.

"I need to talk to Marisa."

Before Sarah could reply with some nasty remark, Marisa came up next to her.

"Decided to take my offer anyway?" she asked. "Did you finally realize Leo just wasn't enough anymore?"

"He may be the reason I'm here right now, but that is so far from the truth."

Sarah let out an exasperated sigh, but walked away without saying anything. Thank god. Marisa took a step back and let me come in, shutting the door behind me.

"I know you wouldn't be here about Leo if it weren't important, so just spit it out." She placed her hands on her hips, waiting, probably for me to give in to her.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "He saw you kiss me."

There was a hint of a smile on her face as she placed a hand over her heart. "Aw, poor Jackson. Is your boyfriend upset now? Did he break up with you?"

I scoffed and shook my head. "This is all your fault, you realize that, right?"

She jumped in excitement. "He did break up with you!"

"No!"

She stopped moving and pouted. "So what do you want from me?"

"I need you to convince Leo that it was all your doing and that I want nothing to do with you. Please? I can't lose him. I love him."

"You've gotten sappy, Jackson. Maybe you do belong with a guy."

"Does that mean you'll help me?"

"Hmm." She put her hand on her chin, pretending to be in deep thought. Too bad I knew exactly what she was doing.

"I'll do your homework for the rest of the semester."

"Hmm. Deal."

I sighed. Well, at least she won't know the material as well as I will. I never promised her help studying for the tests. Oh well. Her loss.

Just then, my phone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket to see that it was Kyle calling me.

"Hey," I answered. "How is he?"

"He wants to talk to you, and actually listen."

"I'll be right there." I hung up and grabbed Marisa's wrist. "Time to keep your end of the deal."

I walked into the room to hear Leo talking, still in the kitchen where I had left him. "I know you and Kyle trust him. I should too. I mean, I'm in love with Jackson. I don't want this, especially if he's telling the truth, to come between us. Between all of us."

My heart practically stopped. He said he loves me. He's never told me that before. Even after everything with Marisa, he still loves me.

"You love me?" I just had to ask.

I guess he hadn't heard me come in, because he jumped when I spoke and turned around. His eyes lit up with something that I couldn't tell what it was for a brief moment, before zeroing in on Marisa standing behind me.

"What is she doing here?"

Unexpectedly, she stepped forward and did what she promised me she'd do. "I came to apologize, Leo. I knew you were with Jackson, but I wanted him back and I didn't care. So I kissed him, but he pushed me away. I didn't realize just how cute you two were together, and now I know that you really do belong together. I'll stay out of your lives from now on." She sounded so sincere. I didn't know if she was still the same person anymore. 

Marisa turned to me. "Don't worry about the homework, Jackson. I got it." Without another word, she left the room.

Leo looked up at me. "I'm sorry I didn't trust you."

I gave him a small smile. "I'm sorry it had to come to that. I really wasn't expecting her to try that whole stunt earlier, otherwise I would never have gone with her." I walked over to Leo and kissed his forehead. He leaned into me. "I do believe I had asked you a question, though," I teased.

He pulled back from me to look at my face. "The answer is yes. I do love you Jackson, and I don't know why I didn't say it to you before today."

"Aww," Josh cooed from where he still sat across the table, a large smile on his face. Kyle was standing behind him with his hands on Josh's shoulders, also smiling. "You two are just so cute."

"Well, so are you two," I replied. "And I think I may have disrupted things this morning. Why don't we pick up where we left off? What do you guys say?"

"I couldn't think of a better idea," Leo agreed.

We looked to our other boyfriends, who were already making out with each other. I guess that was a yes on their part.

Leo pulled me down so that his lips rested against mine. "I love you, Jay," he whispered.

"I love you too, Lee," I whispered back, before pressing against him in a kiss.