39. Start of Break

~ Leo

I was so glad that I went with Kyle. He probably could have handled going back there on his own, but it definitely wouldn't have been easy. It wasn't even that easy for him with me there.

I couldn't understand his mom, though. I didn't like her at all, from the little interaction I've ever had with her. Needless to say, I was relieved when she didn't turn up again while Kyle finished packing up his stuff.

His dad, on the other hand, seemed like he was trying to apologize, but wasn't quite sure how to yet. He did let Kyle take his car, which Kyle was so excited to have back. I was currently driving behind him, following him through these side streets to his friend's house.

When Kyle pulled into the driveway of the tiny little house, I parked on the street. His friend didn't seem to be here yet, and I didn't want to take his spot, or get blocked in.

"I don't have a key, so we'll just wait outside," Kyle said, pulling me so that we both sat on the front step. "Freddy should be here any minute."

"Are you okay?" I asked him for maybe the hundredth time today.

Instead of responding, Kyle leaned into me, capturing my lips with his. I deepened the kiss, pulling him closer to me. We didn't even pull away from each other when we heard a car pull up and someone walk over.

"That's a new look for you, Kyle. But I can dig it."

That voice sounded so familiar, but I couldn't place it. Backing away slightly from Kyle, I turned to face his best friend.

My jaw dropped open. I knew his voice sounded familiar. He looked the same as the last time I saw him about five or six years ago now, only a little older. By the look on his face, he recognized me too.

"Leo? Leo Graham?"

I nodded my head, not even sure what to say. It was definitely him.

"Do you guys know each other or something?" Kyle asked, thoroughly confused.

"Dude," Freddy started. "You did not tell me you were dating my cousin."

Now it was Kyle's turn to be shocked. "You guys are cousins? Why didn't I know this?"

I wasn't really listening to Kyle at this point. "You disappeared. What happened?" His family completely stopped contact with ours, and we never knew if it was something we did or what.

Freddy shook his head. "Your parents never told you?"

"Told me what?"

Freddy shrugged. "If they didn't tell you, then they probably don't want you to know. Ask them later. I really don't want to get into it."

I didn't even know how to respond to that. What did he mean, my parents know? Why would they never tell me then?

"So anyway," Freddy said, changing the topic. "I never expected you to be into guys, man."

I shook my head. This was probably my least favorite part about dating a guy. Or three guys. Always having to keep coming out to people. "Not exclusively. I'm just kinda indifferent to gender, you know?"

"You always were an odd one, weren't you?"

I smirked. "Never said I wasn't."

"Got that right," Kyle said, kissing my cheek. "But I love you anyway."

I kissed him on the mouth. "I love you, too."

"Quit making out on my front step. Come on, let's go inside."