one.

Mia.

The white sheets beneath me warmed my skin as I stretched my arms above my shoulders and swung my legs over the side of the bed.

It was my first official day living in California by myself. Well, not completely by myself. My bestfriend Maddi and I got a cute, small place right by Santa Monica beach.

It was always my dream to live somewhere so serene, so beautiful and unique. The ocean is calming to me, the air is refreshing and the people are warm and full of life.

Maddi and I met a couple years ago through Twitter; we were Internet bestfriends. When I flew to L.A. two years ago with my mom, we met up and we've been attached at the hip ever since; well, as attached as humanly possible living over 2,000 miles away from eachother.

I've never really been certain about my future. There are people that know exactly what they want to do after high school, but not me.

I love to adventure, and I love living life in the moment. I hate thinking about the future and worrying about what will come next when all I want is every second of my life to be filled with excitement and surprises.

The only reason my mom agreed to let me move here by myself at the age of sixteen is because I have some family members that live here in Cali, and because she knows how important it is to me to try and find myself; that wasn't gonna happen in Florida.

"Maddiiiiii," I groaned and padded my feet across the hallway to her room and dropped myself on her sleepy body. "wake up".

An inhuman noise rumbled deep within her throat and escaped from her mouth as she rolled over.

I slapped my hand to my mouth to try and stop a burst of laughter that I wanted so badly to escape my lips. Her hair was a bird's nest. She scoffed and threw a pillow at my head.

A shriveled scream left my mouth as I stood up quickly and ran to her door. Before I returned to my room, I stuck my head in her room one more time, "let's do something fun today" I said and waited for a response.

"beach?" she asked while rubbing the sleep from her eyes. I smiled and nodded before jogging back to my room to take a shower.

I stepped out of my pj's and walked into the shower; embracing the warm water that trickled down my skin. After I finished taking a shower, I walked over to my dresser to find a bathing suit to wear.

I chose an all black top and light pink bottoms. Over my bathing suit, I slid on some jean shorts and an over sized tshirt.

"Maddi, are you almost ready?" I shout. A hear bare feet padding down the hallway and the the water faucet turn on.

About twenty minutes later we were running out the door to my black jeep. We threw all the tanning oils, sunscreen, and towels in the back seat and drove off to the beach.

I'm still not used to the view. Everything here is so beautiful, and the atmosphere is so reviving.

"THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG," Maddi yells and scrolls the volume to MAX.

"NOW IM NOT TRYNNA BE RUDE, BUT HEY PRETTY GIRL IM FEELIN' YOU..." we yelled out the windows at people walking their dogs.

"Mads," I chuckled as we pulled into the parking area by the pier. "can you grab the bag in the back please?".

She nodded and reached back to retrieve it. We both started to make our way to our favorite spot, which was right by one of those cute, little, blue, lifeguard houses with the black printed number on them.

I laid down my beach towel and undressed from my t-shirt and shorts before laying down.

"Remember that one time a bunch of guys tried hitting on us, and they all got escorted off the beach by a beach patrol," she laughed raising her eyebrows and holding her stomach. "I've never laughed so hard in my life".