Chapter 9:

Dan's POV:
I had a rough night. Despite my poor sleep schedule, I did sleep at some point because I managed to sleep though my alarm. I eventually woke to Phil banging on my door. Even in the midst of an argument, I could always depend on my best friend to get me up. In time? Maybe not.
"Fuck" I muttered under my breath. Phil didn't like me swearing so I tried to keep it to a minimum when I was around him. I really did try. I just wasn't very good at it.

I knew what I had to do, I just had to put it into action. I had precisely 25 minuets to be at the gallery in central London to meet Sophie. I had no idea how she would take it, but it would have to be done.

I rolled out of bed, aware of the rush I had put myself under. No time to shower but I didn't smell too bad. I masked any unpleasant smells with a little too much deodorant, making me cough and splutter. With no time to straighten my hair, Sophie would just have to deal with my hobbit hair. I grabbed something black from my closet and pulled it over my head. I struggled into my skinny jeans and shoved my phone in my pocket. Running through the house, I waved goodbye to Phil and slammed the door.

Phil's POV:
I know being in an argument with Dan, most people wouldn't wake him if he was running late. But I wasn't like most people. Without Dan, I felt empty inside. He was running though the house. I wanted to talk to him before he left but it was obvious that I wasn't going to.
"Dan, I-" Slam. He was gone. I guess most people would be salty about their crush dating someone else. It was obvious that Dan didn't feel the same about me as I did him. I was just going to have to deal with that.

Dan's POV:
I flagged a cab and sat down with seconds to spare. I pulled out my phone to text Sophie.
20% battery remaining. Activate Low Power Mode?
"Shit" I whispered to myself. I apologised in advance to Sophie and sat back in my seat and breathed a sigh of relief. I looked up at the miserable London skyline and pondered on life and it's meanings. Oh no no no. I am NOT having an existential crisis in a cab. Before I had time to think anymore, we had arrived. Sophie was stood looking impatient on the steps. I chucked some money at the cab driver and thanked him for the ride. I put my hood up to hide my hair and ran up the steps. My running caused my hood to fall from my head, exposing my curls.
"Dan! Oh." Sophie said.
"Yeah, sorry about my hair, I didn't have time to straighten it because I was running late but I'm here now" I said, out of breath.
"Ew, well don't let it happen again. I don't want to be seen with you when your hair is like that."
That there was the sentence that sealed the deal for me. I didn't care how vain I sounded but I didn't deserve to be spoken too like that.
"Anyways, wasn't there something you wanted to say to me?"
"Uh... Yeah. Let's go in shall we." I said, stalling as much as possible.
"Sure, whatever."
When we were inside, we sat down on a bench in the gallery.
"So..." Sophie prompted.
"Well... Um... I-"
"Spit it out Dan, I haven't got all day" She sighed.
"So... Well. I- um..."
"For Gods sake Dan, pull yourself together."
That was it. The last straw. I had reached the end of my tether with her.
"I don't want to see you or speak to you ever again." I stood up and walked out of the gallery.
"What?!"