Chapter 24:

A/N: Triggers

B's POV:
I had school but I couldn't concentrate. Nothing could take my mind off the sight of Dan lying lifelessly in that hospital bed. In my music class, we were told something about a project. Write a song for a specific reason or something. Shouldn't be too hard. Straight after school I rushed to the hospital to see Dan.

I arrived and saw Phil crouched on the chair. He was the spitting image of L from Death Note. We spoke for a while, but it was forced and fake.

The only person who could understand me has pushed me away too.

...Nobody likes you...

... You're worthless...

... Nobody would miss you anyway...

No no no. The voices were coming back. I quickly took out my phone and blared Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco and All Time Low through my headphones, trying helplessly to drown the voices before they got too bad.

At that moment, as the voices died down, the nurse walked through the door, announcing that visiting hours had ended. Phil and I stood up and walked out of the ward. Instead, we sat in uncomfortable, wooden chairs in the waiting room outside. Phil kept his sunken in eyes locked on the door to Dan's room, counting the hours till morning.

Phil's PoV:
I had just settled down when my thoughts were interrupted by a loud beeping. It was long and shrill. I knew that sound from the endless episodes of Casualty I watched as a kid. The heart monitor. Doctors rushed into Dan's room and shut the door abruptly behind them. Quickly, the door swung open again, and Dan's bed was wheeled swiftly down the squeaky corridor, accompanied by three doctors on each side. B's head snapped up from my shoulder.
"Phil. Help." She cried out, gripping my upper arm tightly. I wrapped my arm around her back to support her. "The voices. They're back." She whispered. I turned my head and kissed the top of her head. I squeezed her hand tight and told her what I would tell my sister. "As long as I am here with you, no voices can tell you what to do. Your head is like a library. Anything can come in and out, until you shut the doors. If you shut off your head, nothing will come in. You're safe with me."
"They told me things, Phil. They told me Dan wasn't going to make it through the night." B said, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Those words.

They voiced my deepest fear...