Prologue

"Hello. I'm Deanna Monroe"

"Thea Lawley" 

"Do you mind if I film you?"

"What?"

"Do you mind if I film our talk?" 

"Sure...Why film this? Why film me?" 

"We're about transparency here"

   Deanna Monroe motioned for the tired, broken girl to sit on her pristine chair. The large video camera stood on it's tripod behind Deanna, who sat professionally on the couch in front of Thea. The girl looked around the tidy room, not a single object out of place. Looking down at her dirt, blood covered skin, she knew she didn't belong.

"How long have you been out there?"

"For about a year now"

"I was a congressperson. Ohio, 15th district. You?"

"I'm 16. I was a student, but I don't think it matters anymore. What we were before"

"Oh, I know it does"

"What is this place?"

"This is the start of sustainability. That's what the brochures we found say. This was a planned community with it's own solar grid, cisterns, eco-based sewage filtration. Starting in the low 800,000s...if there is such a thing. And they sold them all"

"You put up the wall?"

"Well, there was this huge shopping mall being built nearby. And my husband, Reg, is a professor of architecture. And who he was, mattered quite a bit. He got the first plates up with our sons. And after a few weeks, more people arrived. And we had help. We had a community"

"You should keep your gates closed"

"Why"

"It's all about survival now. At any cost. People out there are always looking for an angle. Looking to play on your weakness. They measure you, by what they can take from you. By how they can use you to live. So...bringing people into a place like this now..."

"Are you telling me I shouldn't let a girl like you in? Can you not be trusted?"

     Thea paused, looking once more around the room. She pondered the question. After everything she's been through, everything she's lost. Could she indeed be trusted around other people. People who have no idea what it's like beyond those giant walls. She didn't have the answer. 

"You don't know me. I've done horrible things. I can't even begin to tell you what I've done, but I know why I did them. I did them so I could survive. So I could keep on going, and just maybe, find another reason to live"

"Sounds like I want to be there for you"

"I don't think you can be there for me. Not when you haven't experienced what I have"

"We've lost people. And I've done things too"

"What have you done?"

"I exiled three men who didn't work out. And we both know that's as good as killing them.

      The young girl moved her head up and stared at the woman across from her. How would she know that they would die? Has she no faith in her people? Even if she did kick them out? Thea stood from the chair shakily. She moved to stand in front of one of the many windows in the room. She stood with her back to Deanna, just glancing over her shoulder to ask her next question.

"What do you want from me?"

   Deanna Monroe got up from her position on the couch to stand to her left, looking out a different window.

"These families...these families should be able to raise their children in a safe environment. You should have a place to grow up. What do I want? I want to us to help each other survive. I know we can help each other do that"

"How?"

"I am exceptionally good at reading people. If I didn't win reelection, I was gonna be a professional poker player. I'm not kidding. Thea..."

    With Deanna now facing her, she glanced down at her wrist watch. No doubt checking the time Thea long gave up trying to do.

"...it's 3:37 P.M. You're skeptical. You have a right to be. But it's time to decide, if you're the one that's doing the deciding"

    Thea's intense gaze locked on Deanna. A million thoughts raced through her mind. She couldn't land on one decision that made her comfortable. She turned her head to look out the window once more. She watched as innocent people wandered through the streets. When she finally returned her eyes to Deanna, and saw her expectant look, she knew what she was going to do. Even for just a little while, she had come to a conclusion. 

"I'll stay"