Part 29

Thea's PoV

      "I'll have them thinking we're playing their game. All phases of the turn, level after level, move after move, I'll keep them spun. I assure you, I will," Eugene told Rick. I turned away from them and faced the woods. It was silent, besides the usual bug noises. I sighed and crossed my arms.

The sound of footsteps approaching me made my head turn back to where Rick was talking to Eugene just a few feet away. Abraham now replaced Rick, and Rick stood beside me. He placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. I looked up at his face. He stared down at me with a small smile, although I could see the uneasy expression he was trying to hide, this was a sentimental moment for us, for all of us. I didn't want my voice to ruin the little time we had.

"You're a survivor. You always were. We just didn't know it. Me and you both." Abraham's tender voice drew my attention. I had never heard him so broken then right then as he said goodbye to his closest friend. Sending Eugene off like this was like sending him to his death and everyone knew it.

I'd been trying to hold back my tears so I could be strong for Eugene, but they started flowing the second he embraced Abraham. They've always been there for each other. They needed and relied on each other. Now, they had to let go. Rick left my side when Abraham let Eugene go and walked off.

"I'll be your anchor man. Yes, I damn will." Those were Eugene's final words to Rick. Rick gave him a grateful nod and stood at the bottom of the RV's stairs. He grabbed the front of Maggie's cot that was being hauled out of the vehicle. At this point, everyone was outside. Carl and I were at the front, not being able to help much with Maggie.

"Thank you," Maggie muttered out to Eugene as she passed. He touched her shoulder and smiled faintly. He gave a one final pat on the arm to Rick and thankful look to Aaron, before heading inside the RV.

We all walked at a brisk pace into the woods. I stopped suddenly when I heard the RV start and drive away. Carl gave me a reassuring arm squeeze, urging me to keep going. Carl and I were in charge of keeping stray walkers away. With the adults focusing on keeping Maggie aloft, it was our duty to protect them. We eventually got into a steady rhythm. There weren't many walkers to begin with, and I was grateful. The night was foggy, and it was sometimes difficult to see where we were going. Rick kept us on track, though.

I looked up ahead and saw the outline of a lone walker. As we got closer, I noticed a large tree branch protruding from its chest. Carl gave me a pointed look, telling me to stay back. I waved him ahead, letting him handle this one on his own. He took a deep breath and gripped his machete tighter. He ran ahead of us and with one, powerful swing, he cut the walker's head horizontally in half. A grunt of exertion escaped his lips at the action. A shiver ran through my body as I watched him. He stopped to catch his breath and waited for us to catch up. I'm not sure why Carl killing that walker just now turned me on so much, but I couldn't focus on that now. I had to shake off the feeling and go back to the mission.

"Aaron, please. Just let me walk it," Maggie pleaded. I kept my eyes forward.

"Relax. Just a few more miles," Aaron ordered her softly, pursing his lips.

"I heard what you told her when we were leaving. We can do anything, 'cause we'll do anything we need to do. We have and we will," Carl spoke up. My eyes were trained on his face. Every time he spoke, I didn't want to miss a thing. He was still panting; this long distance at our fast pace was hindering him breathless. He had a take a pause before he continued on.

"What happened to Denise...I'm not going to let anyone die like that again," he growled, glancing from me to his father.

"Son..." Rick started, his voice low and gravelly. "What?" Carl quickly responded. Rick never got the chance to finish what he was going to say. A whistle sounded from somewhere in the woods. Our heads snapped in the direction it might have come from, but that didn't matter. In seconds, whistling echoed from all around us, in all different directions.