Part 30

Thea's PoV

    When I finally saw Negan emerge from the RV, my body tensed, and the fear I thought I'd lost resurfaced. I dug my nails into my knees. The cold, wet dirt underneath me soaked into pants. A shiver ran through my body. 

"Boy, do I have a feeling we're getting close. Yep. It's going to be pee-pee pants city here real soon," he said smugly. The permanent smile on his face made me sick to my stomach. He made his way slowly to my end of the line. His dark eyes scanned over us quickly. As he approached, the silver barbed wire that coated his bat glinted in spotlight. My gaze locked on his weapon, never wavering. 

"Which one of you pricks is the leader?"

"It's this one. He's they guy." The savior man from earlier informed Negan, no doubt pointing at Rick. I tore my eyes away from the bat and down the line to where Rick was knelt. Negan sighed as he stepped up to Rick. His smile faded for a moment as he took in the sight of him. 

"Hi. You're Rick, right? I'm Negan. And I do not appreciate you killing my men. Also, when I sent my people to kill your people for killing my people, you killed more of my people. Not cool. Not cool. You have no idea how not cool that shit is. But I think you're gonna be up to speed shortly." 

   Negan paused and looked down at the ground. Rick didn't say anything, probably too afraid to. He didn't look like he was in any shape to be taking on Negan right now. All of his confidence from before, seemed to vanish now that we were all here on our knees. 

"Yeah. You're so going to regret crossing me in a few minutes." His voice had dropped down a few octaves. I had to strain my ears just to hear him. "Yes, you are," he finished in a teasing tone. His smile once again grew on his face.

"You see, Rick. Whatever you do, no matter what, you don't mess with the new world order. And the new world order is this, and it's really very simple. So, even if you were stupid, which you very may well be, you can understand it. You ready? Here goes. Pay attention."

    I rolled my eyes at his words. It's not like we had a choice to pay attention or not. We would be killed on the spot if we were to try anything. Negan took his bat off his shoulder and held it directly by Rick's head. I inhaled sharply. I knew where this lead; I've seen it done before. I knew he wasn't going to let us walk away without killing at least one of us. I couldn't let it be Rick, or anyone else here for that matter. I couldn't let Negan continue. I stood up abruptly, not caring about the consequence. 

"Get away from him," I growled fiercely. Negan slowly turned his head to look at me skeptically. I glanced down to see Carl looking at me with fear in his eye. Fear that he hadn't shown at all since we started this mission. He was scared for me, but I couldn't let that hinder my decisions, not right now. 

"You better get back down, girl. Wouldn't want to force you," he warned. I narrowed my eyes at him, puffing my chest out.

"Looks like you're going to have to make me," I said lowly. He just smiled and shook his head, letting out a small sigh. I had to crane my head up to properly look him in the eyes. His towering frame was nothing short of intimidating, but I wouldn't back down. Without warning, he struck out and hit me in the stomach with the knob of the bat. It was hard enough to send me back down to the ground. I let out a cry of pain as I held my abdomen. I looked down and saw small splotches of blood. I groaned, knowing full well he must've torn my almost healed stitches. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Carl reaching over to me, but I shook my head at him. Negan bent down to be level with me, his eyes sparkled in interest. 

"Wait. A. Minute. I know you. Last year, was it? I bashed your precious boyfriend's skull in right in front of you. I still remember your helpless cries, yes I do. You were pathetic, but it looks like you've grown a pair since then.Even replaced that boy pretty quickly." He gave a side glance towards Carl, no doubt already putting the pieces together.  "Let's see how loud you scream when I do the same to one of your friends."