SOFChapter 1

I park my car at a free parking spot. I'm nervous as I pick up my purse from the passenger seat and close my car. Trying to calm my pulse, I walk straight to the exit. "Stupid Patty," my subconcious cruises. "It's her fault, you 're here. You should be studying. Yes I would. My finale exams are only two weeks away. Just like her's.
I walk through the glass door straight into another world. A world so much more different than mine is. Marble floor and glassy facade welcome me.
It's huge building, with probably about twenty floors. I'm so not ready for this.
Sighing, I walk over to thw reception desk. A blonde woman with perfect skirt and the perfect black matching blazer looks up at me and smiles, showing her perfect teeth.
"I have an appointment with Mr. Faulkerson Maine Mendoza for Patricia Cruz." I say smiling as well. Although I don't fit on here, clearly because I'm only wearing a pair of jeans, a plain shirt and Converse, I have the same perfect teeth. Something I was proud of.
"One moment please, Miss Mendoza." She look at me from head to foot and shakes her head slightly. I should have borrowed one of Patty's blazer! I knew it.
I pushed push a hairstrand behind my ear, trying to not feel intimidated by all of this.
"Miss Cruz is expected. Please sign here, Miss Mendoza. The last elevator, twentieth floor." She smiles politely as I sign. Then she hands me a visitor's pass. As if it wasn't obvious that I don't fit in.
After I thank you, I walk through the enourmous hall, straight to the glass elevators. The elevator transports me within seconds on the supreme floor.
The door open without any sound and I walk into another enourmous hallway- everything's made of marble, glass and steel. Again, I see a another blonde at the reception desk. I walk over to her and she smiles as she notice me. She's wearing a black suit as well. Black skirt and black blazer, that is the uniform of the office, I assume.

"Miss Mendoza, would you wait here for a few seconds?" She ask me, pointing at a leather couch.
I turn around and look through the glass wall. There's a huge room behind the leather couch with a really big wooden table in it's center. Behind it is the Manhattan city's skyline.
After getting seated, I get out Patty's questions. I can't believe she didn't even give me some CV or something. I know absolutely nothing this...Nothing.
I rise from the chair, "Ms.Mendoza?" she ask me.
"Yes!" I say it in the most confident way.
"Mr. Faulkerson will be ready for you in a second.
Minutes later the door opens. A man, about fourty, wearinng elegant black suite, walks out. I definitely chose the wrong outfit. He turn his head back to the room and asks, "Golf this week Faulkerson?"
I don't hear any answer.
As soon as the man recognizes me he smile.
"Mr. Faulkerson is now ready for the interview. You may go in, Miss Mendoza." the blonde lady tells me.
I get up with a shaky feet. I look at the blond lady and asked. "Shall I knock?"
"You don't need to knock. Just go in, Miss Mendoza." She says smiling.
I take a deep breath before I open the door to his office. I get greeted by an office which has a ridiculous size. It's way too big for one person. But the view. Man, this view is worth all the money in the world. The whole skyline from the Manhattan city was shining brightly through tge darkness. That's when I remember the time. It's already evening. And I should be studying. Stupid Patty.
"Take a seat, Miss Cruz." I hear a male voice behind me.
I jump up, suprised by rhe softness of his voice. I land on his shoes. Damn it. Why does it always have to be me? His shoes are no longer shining. Instead there's a print from my converse. His shoes....His black shoes...Crap, they are from Prada! I ruined his Prada shoes! His shoes which are worth three montly payment for my apartment. Damn it, Maine, my subconscious yells at me.
"Mr. Faulkerson, I'm so sorry. " I apologized as soon as I'm out od shock.
"There're just shoes, Ms. Cruz." He says and I look up. He 's young. So young. And attractive. Unbelievable attractive. Damn, he is very attractive! My inner goddess turns wheels and clapps happily in her hands.He's attractive! He has the perfect face with soft lips and amazing eyes. He's tall and damn it, those eyes...
I feel my cheeks burning and I look away. "Actually....I'm not Miss Cruz. Miss Cruz got sick and she apologized for not being here....tonight...Uhmmmm, this evening." I corrected myself. Damn it, this man is like a walking god.
"And who are you?" He ask me, closing his office door behind me.
"Maine Mendoza. Pat...uhm...Patricia....uhmm Miss Cruz....I study with her at Hale University."
"Ah." that's all he just said. A simple Ah.
How can that sound sexy? So sexy.
"Take a seat Ms. Mendoza." He says, pointing at the leather couch. This one is white. The pther one was black.
"I hope you don't mind me conducting the interview." I say as I get seated. Maybe I should have waited. Maybe he'll reject me.
"It's absolutely no problem with me, Miss Mendoza." He says, getting seated across from me. My head turns to the pictures on the wall behind me.
Thousands of little pictures- a series of mundane, forgotten objects, painting in precise detail so they look like photographs- forming a huge totally different one once you see the whole picture. AMAZING.
"It's from a local artist. Clayton." He says as he notices my glance at the picture.
"Amazing how such simple things can form this bigger picture." I say amazed.
He pauses, "Yes. I totally agree, Miss Mendoza." He says politely.
I clear my throat and look down at Patty's questions. Then I remember the recorder in my purse. I get it out and look at him, " Do you mind if I record our interview, Mr. Faulkerson? This way she could... I mean Miss Cruz....." I stop. He's so wonderfull.
His expressive eyes keep me from talking.. "No not at all, Miss Mendoza."
I nodd and push the recording button. "Did Patricia,Miss Cruz, tell you what the interview's for?"
"Yes. To appear in the graduation issue of the student paper as I shall be conferring the gegres at this year's graduation ceremony.
"Ah." That's new for me. I should get my diploma from someone who is nearly as old at me?-- Well maybe about five or four years older and he's totally successfull. Stunning. I frown and force myself to go on with the interview.
"Good." I say and gulmp nervously, "I have a couple of questions to ask you."
"I thought you might." He responses. He is laughing at me.
"For such an empire you seem awfully young. What are the roots of your success?" I look at him.
He smiles disappointed as if he expected another question. "In the business world it's all about people, Miss Mendoza, I'm a very good keen pbserver of human nature. I lnow how they tick, I can motivate them and thwrefore make them be the best they can. I have a team who is unbelieably talented, Miss Mendoza, and this is the key to success. A team who I pay very much to work with me." He focusses me with his eyes. "My decisions are based on logic and facts. That's the other part.
"And perhaps you're only lucky..." I mumble. His arroganz provokes me.
He blinks a couple pf times to hear such reaction. "I don't rely on Luck or fortune, Miss Mendoza, The harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. In the end it's about leading your team's energy in the right direction. This way they can go beyond theit potentials."
"Sounds lile you're a controlfreak." I say without thinking. Damn it. I should stick to Patty's questions.
"Oh I exercise control on all things, Miss Mendoza."
He says without any humor in his voice of eyes.
My heartbeat increses. My pulse is at it's best. I feel my cheek is burning. Damn it. Why does he have such an effect on me? I look down on Patty's questions "Do you have any other interest beside your work?"
"A lot actually Miss Mendoza. And they are all very different. I'm a wealthy man and therefore i have expensive hobbies.
"You invest in production . Why?" I ask.Why do I feel insecure about him?
"I like to build things. I'm interested in how they are build and how function. Besides I like boats."
"That sounds like you're listening to your hear than on facts or logic."
The corner of his mouth from a small smile, "Possible" Although people say I dont have a heart."
"Why should they say something like that?"
"Because they know me." He snears.
"Would your friends say that you're an open person?" I ask. Stick to Patricia's question! My subconcious reminds me. It's right. I regret it right away.
"I attach great importance to my privacy, Miss Mendoza and I don't interview very often."
"Why did you agree to this one?"
"Because I support Hale University financially, plus I am a former student. Besides, Miss Cruz was very stubborn. She called my assistant everyday for three months. I'm impressed"
Yeah, that's Patricia. Stubborn. I look back at Patrica's questions "You invest in agricultural technology. Why?"
"You can't eat money Miss Mendoza, and on this planet are too many hungry people.
I nodd, "You are adopted. How much did it influence you?" Oh boy, a very personal one. I hope he will answer this one.
He frowns, "I can't eveluate that"
Oh, how interesting."How old were you when you were adopted?"
"You can research this at agencies." He says in a stiff voice. Crap, I should have researched some things. Get at least a little informed. Damn it.
"You had to sacrifice your family life for your work?"
"That'a not a question?"
"I'm sorry." I apologized and move around in the chair, "Did you jave to sacrifice your family life for your work?"
"I have a family a brother and a sister and parents, who love me very much. I have no intention to expand my family at the moment."
"Are you gay Mr. Faulkerson?"
He holds hos breath.
Oh god, how embarrassing!Shit. Why didn't I read them through before I read them out loud? How am I suppose to explain it to him? Damn it, Patty.
"No Maine,I am not a gay" his eyes shines cool showing his dimples.Seeing him like makes me really really weak.. But I had to focus so....
"I'm sorry. It...uhmm...sheet." I mumble, holding the paper with questions.
"Are those questions?"
I'm pale. "Uhmm....No Patricia-Miss Cruz phrased them."
"Are you both working for the student paper?"
Oh boy. I hate the student paper. I don't read it. Never.
"No. I share an apartment with her."
There's a knock on the door and a blondy girl walks in. "Mr. Faulkerson, your next appointment is in two minutes."
"We 're not done, Lisa. Cancel the next appointment. That would be all." He says looking at her. He smiles and her face turn red right away. Oh good, I'm not the only one.
"Yes Mr. Faulkerson." She says before she disappear.
"Where did we stop, Miss Mendoza?"
Oh so now I'm Miss Mendoza again.
"Please don't let me stop you."
"I'd like to get to know you a little bit more. I believe, this is only fair." He says with curiousity in his eyes.
"There's not a lot to tell."
"What are ypur plans after graduation?"
I shrug, amazed by his interest. Move to the city with Patricia she told herself. "I don't have any concrete plans, Mr. Faulkerson. I still have to pass my final exam."
"My firm offer very good interships. For all kinds of jobs," he explains
"Good to know." I say and look away.
"Shall I show you everything?" He ask me with his eyes focused on me.
"Surely you have more important  things to take care of Mr. Faulkerson and I still have a very long drive ahead of me."
"You want to drive back to Hale?" He asks me, looking out of the window. It's raining.
"Yes, I attend to." I say getting up from the leather couch.
"Do you have everything you need? He ask me, getting up himself.
"Yea thank you for the interview ." I say politely and shake hands with him. A weird electricity runs through my veins.
"I'll escort you to the elevator." He says with a soft smile on his lips.
"Thank you." I say smiling as he held his office door open for me. The reception desk is totally empty. No one is working anymore. No one but Richard Faulkerson.
"Did you have a jacket?" He ask me.
"Yes a black leather jacket?" I answer,nodding.
"I'll get it." He says and I follow his walk with my eyes. His walk is so elegant.....so wonderfull.
"Where are your assistants?" I ask him, feeling lonely in this huge building.
"They are home. Their shift ended. He says walking back woth rge jacket in his hands.
"Oh." I say surprised. Already?
He helps me into the jacket and I can almost feel his body against mine. Amazing.
For a moment his hands lie on mu shoulders.causing my breath to get stuck.Wow.
He pushes the elevator button and we wait--me insure and helpless, he confident and cool. The door opens without a sound and I walk in. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my pulse, before I turn around, facong him again.
"Maine." He says goodbye, nodding.
"Richard" I answer back as the elevator door close. I leave him with a shocked expression on his face. I didn't think he would ever get shocked.

------------------------------------------
My first ever series story.. Finally I'm done.. Sorry for the typo errors you may see. I really hope you like...vote..comment....share😊😊😊
Thank you mchay101 for the lovely cover photo😊