SOF Chapter 26

"You ready?" I hear a male voice before I hear the door opening.

"Yes. Let's go to the wedding Carlos." I say with a soft smile on my lips, before checking myself in the mirror once more. The floral dress was the right choice. My hair is in a half-up-half-down style. I wear the diamond earrings from Richard and matching shoes.

"You look good." He says with a smile on his lips.

I rerun his smile, "So do you, Carlos." I say as we leave the hotel room, "Where's Mom?"

"Already there. Making sure everything's running smoothly."

"Making sure bride and groom actually attend the wedding this time." I say and roll my eyes. "Their third try."

"They say all luck comes in three." Carlos says as we walk down the hallway. "How are you?"

"Okay." I say and fake a smile.

"Nicomaine,"

"I am fine." I ensure him. He's the only one who gets to call me that way- well one of the few from my family.

"Really?"

"Yes, really. Still healthy." I say as we get into the car.

"Good."

"How's Mom? How are you?"

"We're both fine. We got a little worried when Patricia called us and told us we shouldn't come to your graduation..."

"Oh well...."

"What happened?"

"Nothing."

"Nicomaine,"

"Fine, I was at the hospital because I drank too much alcohol. No big deal, everything's okay. I know my limits now." I ensure him.

"I hope you do."

"I do." I say as we slowly reach our destination.

"So, any more news?" he asks me as the car stops.

"No, no news...." I say and bite my lip as we get out of the car.

"You sure? No boyfriend?"

"Why are you asking?" I ask him suspiciously as we walk over to our seats. Almost every guest is already seated. Just kids are playing at the meadow.

"Your mother and I saw the picture in the New York Times. Alexa called us, saying that you were in the newspaper with some wealthy man."

"No boyfriend?" I say as I notice my mother.

"So you don't have ,male company with you? you sure?"

"He 's in Manhattan. He has to work. No male company. And no boyfriend."

"No boyfriend?" My mom asks me before hugging me.

"No."

"But what about the picture in the newspaper?"