Chapter 24

I had to buy a gift for them but what? I had zero experience in selecting gifts and shopping but in this case it was Alex and Rene. After thinking hard for quite some time I decided to get something valuable and of use to them and the winners were cufflinks for Alex and a pair of earrings for her. I also knew that buying those meant no indulgence in any form of luxury for a while because those items were going to make a huge dent in my savings.

I went into the jewelry shop and I was a bundle of nerves. It was the first time I was doing something like that and I had no idea what to do in such a place. An elegantly dressed woman came near me and enquired about what I waned and I told her what I was after. She took me to a glass table and on it were quite a collection of earrings. I was lost in the beauty of some of them and she had to make the annoying throat clearing noise to bring me back to earth.

“I want some simple gold ones please.” Her ever-present smile dimmed in wattage and I couldn’t but smile at her expression.

“This way please. These are, as you can see precious stones and platinum section.” She led me to another part where I selected a pair of simple but beautiful ones and I hoped it came within my budget.

“These will do and now I want a pair of golden cufflinks also.” She took me to another section and I choose a pair for Alex. I was about to turn when I saw someone standing near me and I looked up to find Jordan Xavier smiling at me.

“Hi nightingale, you are shopping this early?”

“Hi. How is your eye? Yes I am shopping this early because I have to open the spell but before that I wanted to buy something for Alex and Rene.”

“My eyes are fine. Thanks to you. Wedding gift?”

“Yes and how do you know about it ?  what are you doing here this early?”

“I got an invitation and I am here to get a birthday gift for my mother. Will you help me in selecting one?”

“I am not good at this and this is my first attempt at buying gifts alone.”

“It won’t hurt to look around.” He took my hands in his and I felt that warm sensation once again. I looked up at his face and found him doing the same with a serious face.

“Okay. But what do you have in mind? What is her personal favorite? Like rings, chain, bracelets, stones, gold, platinum?

“I think we will look at chains and necklaces first?”

“Okay.” He asked the always smiling lady standing near me to lead us to the mentioned item. She was looking at me with surprise and parroted a “Please follow me Sir”, to Jordan.

After going through some very beautiful necklaces I took a gold and platinum one with a small pendant which was star shaped with diamonds on it and I imagined it on an elegant lady in her fifties or sixties and I loved what I saw in my mind.

“What about this? Do you like it?”

“It’s wonderful Nina. Thank you. I think it’s perfect.”

He asked the lady to wrap it up and I asked her to settle my bill. She led us to a counter and asked for my card. I gave her mine praying that there was enough balance in my account to cover my costly purchase.

“Why are you so tensed Nina?”

I know it was better to say the truth than lying in which my experience was not at all commendable. He had already proved that he could read my thoughts. “I am praying that my account can bear the weight of my purchase.”