Chapter 2

We walked so fast that we're already here. Our home, our dusty old home. There's been a lot of memories here, most of them I remember. It's like all the good ones seem to slip away but the bad ones stay here, like its there home and not ours.

---

Chapter 2

We walk inside, dad obviously not

there.

I walk over to our little fireplace and set up the roasting grill while Luke gets the meat from our game bags, then were gonna cook the food, after we're gonna shuck the corn. We decide for dinner we'll only have two plump birds, a squirrel, some roots and plants and some corn.

I start to slowly roast the birds first.

As the bird gets more greasy we know the first ones done. We put it on our wood table and when we're done with rest of the meat we do the same. Luke will start to cut the meat while ill shuck the corn and he'll join me after.

I grab all of the cobs of corn we got today, there are 5. We'll each get a half to start with. I start to shuck all the corn. I'm finished in minutes and my brother comes to help then realizes that I'm done all 5 cobs.

"We'll your fast" he says while walking back in the house. I slowly follow him.

And say "considering I had no help" and look right at him smiling. He laughs.

We set up for dinner. Plates and all those other things. Then we put the food on the table, I take a glance over at Luke, he's about to dig right in until I yell "wait!".

He turns to me wide eyes probably saying "what now" in his head. " I wanna wait for dad to come" I say to him, now he's probably like "just let me eat my food" but he didn't say that he just says "why?". I look at him dead serious and say "one of us could be reaped tomorrow and I want to spend sometime with my family before I die!" I yell. He rolls his eyes but he realizes he should still care so he just nods.

An hour later dads not home, our stomachs are growling so we decide to eat. We heat up all our food and dig in. It's delicious! The plump bird is so greasy and great with the corn! The squirrel is just there if you get extra hungry and the plants and roots are on the side, but it's amazing! One of the best meals I've ever had and made!

There are only two beds in this house, dad sleeps in one alone and me and Luke sleep in the other. Me and Luke are fine sleeping together but since he's 17 he does take a lot of room but I don't care, cause he's my brother he's always nice to me and now I'm nice to him.

We clear our things head off to bed. The sheets are cold but it starts to get warmer. I'm facing his back until he turns around and looks at me.

" you so small" he says to me

"And your really big, see look how much your hogging the bed" I say in reply. He says "hey! I'm not that big" he says with a smile and starts tickling

Me. I start laughing so much I bet the Capitol could hear. I start saying "stop, stop!". "Fine I'll stop" he says. He turns the other way and now I'm facing his back again. I hug his back and say "thanks for everything you do for me". I release my arms when he turns around. He looks at me then says "your welcome". Then gives me a real hug. We stay like this until he falls asleep. Then I release and just lay down.i decide to lay on his chest. He's very muscular but if you place your head in the right position then it's comfy. I look at him. He looks so peaceful when he's sleeping I hug him once more and say "I love you Luke", I know he can't hear me but I do love him. I hear him breathing in and out it calms me to know that someone is here, that he's beside me. Knowing that I quickly dose off.

In the mourning like is no longer there and dads asleep in the other bed. Where's Luke? I hear footsteps in the house. And pretend I'm asleep, it's Luke, in his hands I see three eggs some berries cheese and milk. I hear him say to himself "wow, I can't believe there still asleep. Then I get up and say "I'm not". He jumps backwards, startled by me. I smile. He starts to laugh quietly. We don't want to wake up dad, he'd get so mad. Then I remember we have to make the bed or he'll get mad. "Luke?" I ask him.

He turns to me and says "ya?" While getting the fire grill ready to cook. I say "how's a bout I cook and you make the bed?". He says "ok" and walks to the bed. He starts to make it. I start to cook the eggs, two sunny side up and one scrambled. Luke likes his scrambled.

By the time I'm done dads up, and I've already set the table. Luke comes in through the door, I didn't ever know he left.

Dad stretches and grumbles, then walks to the table. Luke also walks to the table, both of them sitting on the opposite side. I pass Luke his scrambled eggs and dad his sunny side up. "So where did you get the eggs Luke ?" I ask. He grumbles while staring at dad then looks at me and says "I found a birds nest". Dad gobbles down his eggs and he says "can you pass me the berries?"

I say "sure" and pass them. I jump up and say " oh my gosh I forgot". Dad says "Quinn sit down now!". Luke gets up and walks over to me he says "what Quinn?". I say "with the wheat I found yesterday I made us some a loaf of bread". I get the bread and put it on the table and take the berries from dad. And he yells "give it back!", then I say "just wait a sec". I get a knife and start to squish the berries and turn it into jam. "I know how you and Luke like jam so here you go dad". He grumbles "thanks". They both get some bread and put the jam on, they eat there food and I can tell by dads face he knows it good. Luke thanks me for the meal then he goes and gets washed while I finish my meal alone at the table, then I get ready for the reaping, for the selection of me dying.

---

Hope you liked the chapter. I think this one was better than the first but that's only my opinion. Please vote or comment.

Thanks :)