Chapter 30

Jason's POV

A hovercraft starts to descend in the distance about half a mile away, me and Annalee are already sprinting through the trees, crashing into branches as we try to make it to the hovercraft.

Beads of sweat fall off my face to the ground as the sun beats down on us, it only makes it harder to run but we keep running.

We crash into a small opening and find two bodies laying limb on the ground, we run up to the first one and see her eyes wide open and her chest doesn't fall up and down so I k is she has died, but the body in front of her, her chest weakly goes up then falls.

We run over to the breathing body and recognize the face right away. Dawn's eyes are tired with bags and her face has cut all over. I start to examine her body from top to bottom and find a gash on her thigh that has endless blood streaming out of it. The blood covers most of the fabric of her pants making it cling to her skin.

"Dawn!" I yell shaking her body lightly.

"Wait..." I say and turn around and throw off my bag, I quickly rummage through my bag till I find the first aid I got. I find gauze pads, sterile gauze pads, normal gauze, alcohol swabs, and a jar of medicine.

I yank the jar of medicine, some gauze and some alcohol swabs. I throw my bag aside and crawl back over to Dawn, Annalee got out her cloth and is trying to stop the blood but ask her to move aside and she obeys my my question and moves away. Annalee cleaned out the wound pretty well but it's already starting bleed again. I start with the alcohol swabs, by cleaning it out, a couple yelps of pain escape her mouth but I keep going until its clean, then I get some gauze and put some of the medicine on it and I start wrapping the gauze around the wound.

"There." I say,"Lets find us some shelter for the night."

I start by putting the first aid away and throw my bag back on my back then I lift Dawn and start to carry her.

We walk for about 5 minutes and stumble upon a small cave. Me and Annalee both approve of the cave then we step inside.

I lay Dawn down at the back of the cave and me Annalee go sit down at the front for guard. We poise our weapons just in case of sudden attack, I scout out the area around us, thick trees surround us and the breeze has come to a stop so the branches just hang still. It's hard to see because of the trees around the cave and the branches blocking it but there's a little gap between one tree and the one across from it and in that gap I see the sunset in the horizon. The blend of colors that merge together to form the color is very fascinating. I might not ever see this again.

Dawn's POV

I breathe slowly and weakly as I attempt at opening my eyes but it seems impossible, like I'm trapped here for eternity. Darkness is the only thing that surrounds me, a million questions form in my brain as I look around but the main one is...

Am I dead?

I try to move but end up just shifting around, then pain strikes me in my upper leg, I scream in pain but nothing escapes my lips. I hear some movement in the background making its way over to me and more fear strikes me, what if I've been captured and tortured?

A liquid starts to make its way in my mouth and down my throat, I almost choke on it but I manage to swallow. a small breeze passes through my body and I shiver a little.

"It's okay Dawn, your fine, don't worry, everything's gonna be alright." Someone says and I know that soft voice and those comforting words, it's Jason.

'Jason!' I yell but yet nothing escapes my mouth it just bounces around in my head.

'Jason! please! help me!' I try again but yet nothing.

Jason's POV

I watch Dawn wishing she would wake from her slumber of pain but nothing seems to wake her, her eyes didn't clutter open, not a single word came out of her mouth and I feel alone. Her body takes another shiver and I unzip my bag and pull out the sleeping bag, I slide her into it safe and sound. I bend down and give her a soft and gentle kiss on the cheek and then make my way back to the mouth of the cave.

Annalee still looks out into the distance of the forest searching around for tributes but there is nothing to be spotted. Her eyes shift around looking for something when there's nothing to be found.

"Still not up?" she asks and breaks the silence.

"No." I say mumble," But I hope she awakes soon."

"Me too." agrees Annalee.

"Well you go get some sleep I'll keep guard." I say.

"Ok." she says happily then jumps up from where she sat and went to the back of the cave to lie down.

"Goodnight." I whisper.

Suddenly the Capitol anthem behinds to boom all around the arena, and the faces of the dead tributes appear in the sky. 9 people dead. I was happy to know that Autumn wasn't one of those faces and so wasn't Dawn signaling that their both alive but I'm afraid of the day it may happen to them or even me too.

----

Sorry for the short chapter!

Please vote and comment your opinion!

Thx :D